1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulling for your team, but not really ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We have a member here -- I won't out him unless he keeps his current tack -- who is a huge Cardinals fan but does not have the testicular fortitude to back that devotion up with a friendly wager. Now, this is a guy who bet on EUROPE to win the Ryder Cup just to make a few dozen golf balls, so clearly his loyalty was already in question. I tried to sweeten the deal by GIVING him a game -- betting the Tigers would win in six or less. Even then, no dice.

So it is on.

rb

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Whoever the member is, I will give he/she credit for thinking with his/her head and not his/her heart.

Everybody wants to see their favorite team do well & win, but you know there are times when they will/should lose a game or a series...and you root for them just the same. You might not have any confidence in your team, but you still root for them.

I would have bet on the Euros in the Cup as well. I wanted the Americans to kick some serious arse, but I knew they wouldn't. That doesn't make me any less loyal to America.

If you're going to make a bet, you make the decision with your head and not your heart.

And NO outing!!! ;-)

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I can do one better for disloyalty.

I have a good friend who is a graduate of Indiana U, is utterly devoted to the basketball team and is a fan of the football team. He rooted against the Hoosiers today (not that his disloyalty was worth 41 points) because he didn't want IU to possibly ruin the undefeated Michigan vs. undefeated Ohio State matchup. Is that acceptable?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Utterly unacceptable. Without question. Man law.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope, just a pussy... if the Cardinals win, congratulate him and tell him you' send his winnings anyway....

Then send him a big ol' box of Tampoons....

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tampoons?

[​IMG]

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For the orifice the said member is displaying, those would work. Yes.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So RB... did you ever get the testicularly challenged comrade to take the bet?

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No. Said Cardinals fan is a pussy to the first degree. I called his ass out TWICE on my blog, sent him a photo of me on the field at the stadium I was at Saturday that said "[username omitted] is a pussy!" and threatened to get the sign in the background of the national TV sideline babe while she interviewed the winning coach postgame. No dice.

rb

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a shame. Not altogether unexpected, but a shame.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Betting for real on a team you love -- or loathe -- is taboo. In many cases, you're thinking with your heart and not your head. You naturally think they will win or lose/cover or not cover.

Betting for shits and giggles, which appears to be the case in rockbottom's instance, is perfectly acceptible.

A former colleague was a huge Angels fan. Everytime the Red Sox would play the Halos, we'd bet a sack of White Castles on the series.

It's all a matter of prospective.

Should the Cardinals win the Series you should, by all means, rat out your co-worker for being a faithless fan.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He can rat him out for so much more... Being a puss is an added bonus

Draft saved Draft deleted