1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzer winners announced -- did I miss the thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Apr 18, 2011.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Please tell me the board hasn't declined to the point where no one's talking about the Pulitzers? Or are they no longer relevant? I saw where the Star-Ledger won for feature writing.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No surprise on the LAT winning the public service award. No-brainer.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

The concept of a journalism award being named after Joseph Pulitzer is an entertaining one and has been for some time.

Same with Rhodes Scholars.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You fund 'em, you name 'em, I suppose.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Interesting there was no Breaking News award this year, which included the Gulf spill.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Felix Salmon of Reuters points out that the Pulitzer won by the nonprofit ProPublica was the first ever awarded to a story or stories that did not appear in print, only digitally. That's a real landmark.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I was a bit surprised not to see any mention of the Washington Post project by Dana Priest about national security. I seem to remember that being expected to cause a lot of uproar, though, come to think of it, I was never made aware of major fallout.

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

The Star-Ledger reporter used to work at SI.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The story ran in a 20-page broadsheet special section with no ads -- a massive financial commitment by 2010 journalism standards -- but was serialized over four days online. You would need four or five hours to read the story and the sometimes highly technical graphics material that accompanies it. The video runs about 24 minutes and is likewise impressive work.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/the_star-ledger_wins_pulitzer.html

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Haiti, of which the Miami Herald/El Nuevo Herald did fantastic work and was a finalist.

12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Thanks for posting that link.
    Also, while not a winner, a reporter from a weekly in Louisiana was a finalist for the local reporting Pulitzer. Very cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted