1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols whines about MVP snub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus H. Christ, Dools. Where in the title of this thread did it say we were debating the MVP merits of each candidate?

It's about Pujols WHINING about the snub, and that's what the "screw Pujols" line was about. He's gotten a free ride in one of the friendliest markets in baseball for six years and he's a complete sourpuss. What's he got to bitch about? That reporters are around him? Grow up.

In addition, this thread is not about who should or shouldn't have won. If other people wanted to make cases for each player, fine. But that wasn't the point of this thread.

And I implore you to go back to the original NL MVP thread and find where I said Pujols should lose because he's a jerk.

And a chit to call in for future votes? For crying out loud, that's insane. Or did I forget Barry Bonds has been robbed of, what, seven MVPs because he's a complete turd to writers?

What the hell has gotten into you?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, so taking pot shots at athletes just because they aren't cheerful and don't say the right thing is a sign of maturity? Got it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got no idea what this means so I'll just assume that if this was about Derek Jeter complaining about the MVP snub you never would have contributed.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's about this:

"What's he got to bitch about? That reporters are around him? Grow up."

And yes, I would have said the same if Jeter had, too.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, I don't think it's just about that, because you've been snippy about this for a page. But I stand by it. He acts like an immature brat far more often than not in a media setting. And for what? Why? He plays in a smaller market, doesn't get harrangued 24/7 about his personal life and has yet to be tied to a scandal. What's he got to complain about? I'd love to see how his schtick would wear in NY or Boston.

And there are many others on this thread who are tired of Pujols, so this isn't just another example of me hating a big-time athlete. I'm not sure why you're targeting me.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No you wouldn't. If Jeter would have pulled that shit off, all of us would be so stunned, we wouldn't be able to speak for about a day. Other than that, you or any of us would never do it if Jeter would have done it because Jeter is too smart and media savvy to never to act out like that.

Pujols, as I said, is a freak and a great player, but it does not and should not give him the authority to act like that over a fucking piece of hardware and a few thousand votes. Bryan Burwell during the playoffs called Albert out for his moody behavior and Pujols didn't like it and complained to Burwell to lay off of him. Burwell told him "to his face" that this wasn't the first time he's treated the media like leeches. Pujols gotten kid gloves treatment until he started being surly this year.

The media may not be above repoach when it comes to maturity at times. Pujols isn't getting no fucking pass to the high morality table either.

I like him as a player. I don't like how he treats guys and gals like you who write the story. No one stole his dog or his bat. Give Howard his props and this debate is over. If he wants to prove a point, here's what he can do:

stay healthy and hit 60 HRs, drive in 150+ rbi's, get walked 120+ times, and win the World Series with the team on your back.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I saw this coming Pujols's second year in the league. He was very wide-eyed and generous as a rookie but he started to feel entitlement and holier-than-thou once the shower of praise got out of control.

Hell of a player. Great, great talent. But his ego is on the edge of turning the public off. For his own sake, he better reconsider.

And the fact that Philadelphia won two more games should shut his argument down, if you ask me.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Pujols deserved the award. He put up better offensive numbers (higher OBP, higher slugging average) than Howard, who played in a home run haven. He is also a far superior defender, and he had an inferior supporting cast.

Still, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's almost as big of an asshole as he is a superstar.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Pujols' comment was outrageous. The MVP should come from a playoff team? Is he serious? I mean, that's just nuts. How could he possibly say such a thing?!?!?!

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Uh, Pujols is just pissed cuz Ryan Howard now owes him 100K.

He receives a $200,000 bonus for winning an MVP, $100,000 for finishing second in MVP balloting.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=398&p=8&c=1&nid=2348024

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Avoided the bet?

I'll even stipulate to your assertion, without any proof, just so you can get some pearl jam into your right palm.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't understand... why don't you LOVE the guy, then?

Draft saved Draft deleted