1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols whines about MVP snub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 30, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Nah, we'll save the name-calling for Albert, Casty.

Damn, first he disses Glavine, now this. What a guy!

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the fact that Pujols missed some of the season with being on the disabled list might have hurt his chances. I don't have a problem with him saying he should have won it - unless he goes totally crazy and acts foolish - hey, he's just answering a question or making a statement.

I agree with Howard as MVP.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Howard isn't as valuable to the Phillies? Who else is supposed to carry them? Pat "I miss you so much Heather Mitts" Burrell.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

No offense but I'm pretty damn sure you wouldn't.

And screw Pujols, one of the biggest babies in the game.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Howard wasn't valuable. Utley was every bit as valuable as Howard until Howard took another giant leap. But if I recall, didn't he slump during the final few weeks of the season? The Phillies were up and down all year. The Cards nearly choked near the end of the season. Neither here nor there. Howard had a great year and was one of the Phillies' catalysts. I think Pujols is more valuable. If I were buckweaver I'd try to find statistical comparisons, but numbers don't always tell the story. Everyone votes for different reasons.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Can a player slump when he's being pitched around?

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

What would Pujols' MVP bonus have been?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The article has this quote:
    "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP," Pujols said

The correct response is: "Hey Albert, you mean that .300 BA, 57 HR, 142 RBIs aren't MVP-worthy because the person that put up those numbers played on a last place team?"
    (2002 A-Rod)

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

During the stretch run, for what it's worth, if it's worth anything ...

Pujols splits:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=405395&statType=1

August and September/October: 56 games, 217 AB, 45 runs, 74 hits, 16 doubles, 15 HR, 49 RBI, 135 TB, 31 BB, 21 K, .379/.464 OBP, .315/.368 batting average.

Howard splits:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=429667&statType=1

August and September/October: 57 games, 205 AB, 46 runs, 75 hits, 11 doubles, 23 HR, 61 RBI, 155 TB, 57 BB, 63 K, .464/.561 OBP, .348/.387 batting average

Howard had the better numbers. Does that make him MVP? Got factor in defense, too, and some intangibles such as how each treated the press and regional bias, etc.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm sure he would be more than happy to whine some more if anyone asked him.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There you go again.

"He's a baby"....

Couch potato.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Final three weeks of the season, Howard disappeared.

Draft saved Draft deleted