1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols' trainer and Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Deadspin.com just unveiled some of the names in the Grimsley case. One is a bombshell -- Albert Pujols' trainer.

But, I ask, is this newsworthy? Do we believe Deadspin enough to cite it? Does this make it on A1, or do we wait, pretend it never happened, and hope a real paper gets the same info?

(I know, this issues always comes up, not just here. How do we deal with it?)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://thebiglead.com/

We'll see a lot on this story over the next few months, eh?

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

It's just putting 1+1 together, finding old articles, and letting readers draw conclusions.

How is it wrong to say in print that Grimsley and Pujols shared a trainer?

You're just citing facts.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Per the SI cover story of 5-22, KC's Mike Sweeney also used said trainer. The piece was a blow-by-blow of Pujols' training with the guy in question.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I have faced nothing but indignation from peers and friends every time I have asked whether Pujols might be a juicer.

It has made me very uncomfortable that 90% of the baseball writers I know have had no interest in investigating Pujols.

Time to pull your heads out of the sand, people.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I agree. I've said all season (half joking, half serious) that Pujols is juiced too. Sad thing is, like McGwire, he comes off to a lot of people as a likeable guy, so nobody wants to believe it. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pujols is juiced.

7. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

I'd say this is true, but I promised Dan Patrick that I wouldn't say the names.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Pujols had 19 HRs in a full season-equivalent of games in the minors.

He made quite a jump at the ML level. That's all I know for sure.

9. DENNY

DENNY Guest

Interesting stuff.

I've always been in the camp that thinks Pujols has been clean, but if I remember correctly his trainer was also his junior college coach or the guy who recruited him to that school. They are supposed to be very close.

Pujols will look even worse than most if he's guilty, because on several occasions he's attributed his recovery from minor injuries (plantar faciitis) and his natural ability to the work of the Lord.

10. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Spin - I diagree with you - lots of people would investigate him, or anyone else, but saying you want to do it and coming up with much are two different things.

Most baseball writers are ridiculously busy as it is (162 games, training camp, playoffs, etc.). The problem is that few newspapers have the resources, or are willing to commit the resources to that kind of investigation.

Remember, this essentially all started when grand jury testimony was leaked. Without putting people under oath it's rare to findsome who says "Yeah, I did it" and so forth unless they have an axe to grind (or go crazy like Grimsley).

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

well... HGH is the work of the lord.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted