1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols is NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Probably the best choice.

I just wish Pujols would retire. I sometimes walk into the next room or change the channel when he gets in the box. I respect the hell out of him as a player and person, though.

Pujols and Sabathia were the only real candidates, in my opinion. But I would have listened to a Lidge argument.

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

JC, I think his point was that RBIs, etc, still need to happen. They don't tell you as much about an individual player as something like OBP, sure. Two people with 100 RBIs aren't necessarily equal...Player A could have batted .200 with a lot of RISP chances, while Player B could have batted .350 with fewer RISP chances. I'd take Player B for my theoretical team any day. But after 162 games there are players who, regardless of rate stats, have piled up a huge number of runs batted in and other cumulative stats regardless of how.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Actually, I would have voted Howard third.

Pujols, Sabathia, Howard, Lidge, Any Cub (fanboy alert!).

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

OBP vs. RBI.

Batter A comes up three times with twom out and no one on base, gets 2 single and a double. Gets left on base each time.
    Comes up for his fourth AB with bases-loaded, one, hits into a double play. BA=.750, OBP =750. Run production =0.
    But OPB is important and RBI is useless to some of you people.

5. MartinEnigmatica

That's also one scenario of one game which you couldn't possibly replicate over 162 games. OBP and RBI are both indicators, actually, of a player's value. That's why you take a look at stats with runners in scoring position as well, and don't discount anything. There's no one golden stat that divines the value of a player.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Come on, spnited. We don't have to have the argument again, but this is ludicrous.

A routine fly ball is an RBI, some times, too.

A respect a lot of people who think Howard had a case, but I don't respect the argument at all.

The prevailaing amount of the time the man came up to bat, he struck out. That's what he did more than anything else.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is corect Martin. But too many people here are saying RBI are dependent on someone else and don't demonstrate a player's value.
    That is bullshit.

8. MartinEnigmatica

Maybe when the AL MVP comes out, we can just past the same posts on that thread, because the discussion will probably be the same.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not discounting Howard's strikeouts, Zeke. But don't tell me 146 RBI don't mean anything.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Zeke, with all due respect to your knowledge (and I mean that), there are 12 guys with MVP votes who disagree with you. Also Casty, who has had a vote in the past, disagrees with you.

If you want to say Pujols was the right choice, I can see your argument. I just don't see how you can say Howard wasn't even a valid candidate, given the people who disagree with you on that point.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Smart people are often wrong.

And anyone who voted for Howard was wrong.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

No. You are WRONG!

Draft saved Draft deleted