1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public radio?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hungryhungryhippo, Dec 11, 2006.

1. I'm listening to more NPR, PRI, etc. than I ever did before, and I'm always surprised such good journalism is done in broadcasting (sorry, TV folks...). Any newspaper/magazine guys on here ever dabble in radio stuff? I'm kinda interested in stringing a story or something for the local station -- I'm just batting around the idea right now -- and I was curious if anyone on here had experience with that?

Thanks.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Had my own show for a year. Early Friday afternoons.

Also was a late, late night guy once a week for a year.

I LOVED both gigs. Very fun.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Back when I worked at a PM, I did some radio on the side and I loved it.

Don't have time for it now, unfortunately.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I recently defected from the world of print to the world of public radio. You may pm me with questions. In the meantime, you'll find lots of stuff of interest to radio newbies at

www.transom.org

To do a basic news story, you need a digital recorder and a computer with Adobe Audition...I guess you could call it the audio equivalent of Quark or InDesign. The writing style for radio is more conversational and you have to keep sentences short. Good luck.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I used the tell people that hosting a sports radio call-in show had to be the easiest job on earth. Then I hosted a show and found out it actually is.

Draft saved Draft deleted