1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PT intern copy editors, Bleacher Report, Inc.

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by bpoindexter, Apr 6, 2012.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

As posted on journalismjobs.com, and sorry if this already has been posted:

Company: Bleacher Report, Inc
    Position: Seeking Online Sports Copy Editing Interns
    Job Status: Part-time
    Salary: Unpaid Intern
    Ad Expires: May 6, 2012
    Job ID: 1195039

Description:
    Bleacher Report, a fast-growing online sports network with over 25 million monthly readers, is looking for editing interns to join the team immediately.

Interns will work remotely and create their own schedule plans.

To learn more about the Bleacher Report Intern Program, please review the network's list of Frequently Asked Questions:
    http://bleacherreport.com/pages/internfaq

To be considered for a position, please submit a Preliminary Application through the network's online form:
    http://bleacherreport.com/pages/internapplication

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unpaid intern? I gotta think I have a shot.

Is this an entry-level position?

3. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Free labor.

4. Didn't BR just hire Adam Jacobi and Barrett Sallee?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I work really hard as an unpaid part-time editor, could I move up to an unpaid full-time editor?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You may have a shot here, but you still don't have a shot at the Plain Dealer.

7. nate41

nate41 Member

Ugh. I stupidly took one of these in college for a bit. If you wanna wade through trash get a a job at the local dump. At least they pay.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

...or collect cans, plastic, and glass bottles...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How was the experience (if you can share)?

I'm against unpaid internships but recognize that in some cases they can be better than nothing. But I can't wrap my mind around a remote unpaid internship.

10. nate41

nate41 Member

It's going on four years since I took it.. sifting back through my emails they were actually pretty good at communicating and getting me set up. Basically, I was expected to put in 12 hours per week in scheduled increments and edit 30-40 articles.

They wanted you to leave feedback- and that was the thing that got me. Such as:

"Great article! I enjoyed your detailed perspective. I've made a few minor changes for format—shortening paragraphs for increased internet readability, spelling out numbers one-nine. Of course keep only what you like. Thanks!"

As a college kid who worked at the school paper, took classes, and held down a part time job, I just couldn't justify keeping it. In retrospect, if I was better organized I probably could have pulled it off it I wanted to.

That was my experience. But again, I haven't done anything for them since then so I couldn't say what its like now.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

An unpaid writer, while still objectionable to the principle of the word professional, would at least give you a chance to offer an opinion and might (probably not) be useful as far as showing how well you can write.

An unpaid copy editor is far worse, and shows what the people running the site think of their content.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'll take it if they'll pay. And only if they pay per slide show page. Then I'd get rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted