1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PSU/Freeh Report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The end?

How about for 14 years?

I used to have tremendous respect for Paterno. I thought he was one of the good guys in sports, who did things the right way.

But, if his rotting corpse is under a bus right now, it's because it belongs there. No one threw it.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Is Millen just not intelligent enough to process this all? I appreciate the loyalty and everything, but wow.

From what I read of the report, it is Spanier, Curley and Schultz who come off as more villainous than Paterno. I think those guys will be going away for awhile.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

There's absolutely no evidence that Paterno did that. He deserves the scorn he's getting today and they've got to get rid of the statue, but let's not assume facts not in evidence.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't believe that about Paterno.

I believe that if Sandusky had abused kids who weren't "throw aways", something would have been done much sooner.

If he was abusing Joe's kids, or the kids of Joe or Spanier's neighbors, they would have had him locked up.

They didn't do anything because these kids weren't important enough, and because "good old Jerry" was doing so much to "help" them.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier in the thread the whole thing is really sad. It angers me that a coward like Paterno could let this happen but at this point I feel sad for the whole situation.

It is just so shitty that people in these positions, led by Paterno, could let this happen because of PR concerns.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

THIS close, Circus. THIS CLOSE.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

You're still in denial. There was no 'inaction.' Paterno helped create an environment that allowed a child molester to rape children and didn't turn him in because he wanted to protect his holy football program and his own name. In the end, he ruined the lives of children, the legacy of the program that he claimed to love so much and his family's reputation.

Nice job, Joe.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My question about the 1998 investigation is this, how the hell could Paterno, Spanier, Schultz & Curley possibly expect they could get away with denying knowledge of it? That investigation was public knowledge.

EDIT: And if any parent came forward between 1998 and 2001, wouldn't somebody in the local PD - or in whatever agency did the initial investigation - know that Sandusky had been under investigation previously?

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So I hear. George Welsh and Paterno were pretty tight...given that we now know Joe knew about it then, I wonder if he whispered in someone's ear.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Drip, I think you sincerely want to believe the best in people. I know you stood up for Conlin pretty steadfastly, too. I think you're wrong. Dead wrong. But I think that your heart is in the right place, in an odd way.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Drip is trolling. You're the only one taking the bait.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really? I've never thought of him as a troll. Just protective of Pennsylvania figures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.