1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PS3: Too expensive?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murciélago, May 16, 2007.

1. I know the PS3 probably will be fine in the long run. With that said, I'm glad to be on the 360 bandwagon.

I've always thought $599 is too damn high. Looks like a lot of people agreed with me.

----------------------

Sony game group down $2 billion
    PS3 maker's game division posts $914 million loss for the first three months of 2007--and over twice that for the full fiscal year.
    By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
    Posted May 16, 2007 10:58 am PT

Some customers might think the PlayStation 3's $599 retail price is high, but that's chump change compared to what the machine is costing Sony. The electronics giant today posted its financial results for the fiscal year and fourth quarter ended March 31, and as analysts predicted, the game division racked up significant losses.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170827.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My PS2 crapped out last month. It lasted a good five years. I've been trying to decide between picking up a new PS2 or diving into the next-gen consoles. I keep hoping the rumored PS3 price drop will happen in July or August, maybe that'll spur me into action. I just know I have to do something before the next GTA comes out.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I like video games, but not that much. As soon as Sony announced the price, I swore to myself I wouldn't even think of touching one. My resolve strengthened when I read about Sony's utter arrogance leading up to the launch.

$2B? Good for them. Can't say I'm surprised. Or disappointed.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

It's all about the price point and these Sony folks missed it big time. I heard for the money, the Wii is the way to go.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The Wii is fantastic. I got one for X-mas, and it's great. Whole family plays it, even my parents when they visit, and my mom had never played a video game until the Wii.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. If it's $250 for an iPod, I'm not paying more than double that for a PS3. Only so far I can go.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Waaaay too expensive.

I'm thrilled I jumped on the 360 bandwagon when I did. It has blown away any expectations I had for it.

Ask Hustle. I drive him crazy blabbing about my affection for this machine. Sorry dude. :D

It's far more than a great game machine, with a fantastic online interface. I downloaded the HD version of the Departed through the Xbox Live Marketplace. Fantastic.

I don't miss my PS2 in the least & have zero interest in a PS3.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

After this Christmas might be the time to start thinking of switching from the PS2 console. Not sure if I'll go Wii (huh huh, I said wee), PS3 or Xbox. I'm a Sony loyalist, but if the price isn't under $300, no dice.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Too expensive? Yes, if you're an adult.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It took nine posts before we got a comment on video games are only for kids? Man, you people really need to move quicker. ::)

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

::)

See, I can do that, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted