1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fuck me. You are right.

It is billion. Even what I posted. $1,563,274,000 is $1.5 billion, not $1.5 trillion. I am an idiot for arguing that. Sorry. I was thinking in terms of billions and expressing it in terms of trillions. I am REALLY sorry for arguing about that.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The NYT has taken down and reposted more than once this morning that the US Ambassador to Libya was killed. Sounds like they're having trouble getting confirmation.

From what CNN had, sounds more like a rocket attack than a mob.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

BR - don't give it another thought. Seriously.

4. The Big Ragu

Hopefully my stupidity doesn't invalidate the point. ... My point is still that we should get the hell out of there and take that money with us.

I was even looking at the press release from the state department with the president's proposed 2013 budget that said BILLION, and I was posting about trillions. I suck. Sorry about that.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP says the ambassador and three of his staffers were killed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-christopher-stevens-ambassador-libya-20120912,0,4288354.story

6. The Big Ragu

Oh, I am giving it another thought. ... In my head, I should have seen the disparity between how much we would give in aid to any country, including Egypt, and our budget deficit. It would be enormous. But all I was doing was settling on a number and equating the two, when the notion should have been ridiculous to me. I usually have numbers in pretty good context. I was being a dope.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

White House statement out. Stevens is dead.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's the Times.

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/us-envoy-to-libya-is-reported-killed.html?hp

Sounds like a rocket attack on his car while he was in transit.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but should our government be "condemning" any independent filmmaker for choosing to make a privately financed film critical of islam? Our Govt doesn't condemn private free expression critical of christianity, not sure why the rules should be so different for Islam.

Even if not an actual apology, the statement does give a distinct impression that we are siding with, or giving justification to, the irrational nuts scaling our embassy walls. I understand the need not to inflame the situation, but does that mean we need adopt a groveling tone, or lose sight of whose behavior actually deserves the condemnation here?

Our govt didn't make the film or have anything to do with it, so attacking our embassies is an utterly irrational response. If the thin-skinned mob is so outraged by the thing, they can focus their ire on the filmmaker and company that financed the thing.

10. Boom_70

Exactly. The official US apology statement validates the film.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What "official US apology?"

The initial statement yesterday condemned an incendiary film - and went on to condemn its use as an excuse for violence.

rogue apostrophe

12. Boom_70

Mitt Romney statement:
    “I’m outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi,” Romney said. “It’s disgraceful that the Obama Administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.