1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yesterday's statement still doesn't read like an apology to me. It reads like a condemnation of whoever made and circulated this film. Those aren't the same thing.

Hillary's statement yesterday certainly wasn't an apology.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton confirmed late Tuesday that a State Department officer had been killed in the Benghazi attack, and she condemned the violence. “Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet,” she said. “The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.”

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/world/middleeast/anger-over-film-fuels-anti-american-attacks-in-libya-and-egypt.html?hp

But as Boom points out, now that the ambassador appears to have been killed, a lot of this will be about perception, however misinformed.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Damn. US Ambassador to Libya reportedly killed in rocket attack on the US embassy:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-us-ambassador-killed/index.html

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First of all, the veiled and not so veiled racism on here always disgusts me. Especially when people who don't have a clue talk about the "Muslim Street." I know people in Egypt. They are as level-headed as any American I know. Not everyone in Egypt is storming an embassy right now. Things are out of control there, and there is an element of the country that is disaffected. Poverty and oppression tend to lead to bad behavior. People get riled up. Egypt lived under oppression -- U.S. backed oppression -- for decades. Now we are seeing blowback from the backing of a dictator who was hated. We single-handedly supported it with boatloads of money that kept him in business, and the people there know it. To act like that isn't the backdrop in this story, and that the poor U.S. is having its embassy attacked for no reason by a bunch of savages is silly. We are reaping what we sowed.

But it does beg one question.

Egypt receives the second most U.S. aid from the U.S -- after Israel. To the tune of $1.5 trillion a year. That is about the size of our budget deficit. It's insane.

I have no clue what we are doing, or why. I have no idea why we pursue these foreign policies that meddle in others' affairs and support dictators, as we did in Egypt, which then set up dire situations of blowback when things shift toward radicals who are resentful toward the U.S. People didn't spontaneously decide to storm the embassy in Tehran in 1979. Our support of the Shah led to the radicalization of the country when he fell, and the fact that we had propped him up for decades was not forgotten.

Why don't we ever learn?

If it was me, I'd pull our embassy, take that ridiculous $1.5 trillion handout we are giving to Egypt every year with it (when we are putting ourselves in massive debt to give it!), and leave behind a message that they are on their own -- now and in the future.

That is a win-win, and we are not doing more to create the future resentment that leads to embassies being stormed.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is it 'trillion' or 'billion' to Egypt? Mostly military 'aid.'

'Trillion' sounds kinda high.

5. The Big Ragu

It is trillion. And yes, it is mostly "military" aid.

One-third of American foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt. Israel gets about $3.2 trillion a year. Egypt gets about $1.5 trillion a year.

It is absolutely insane given our fiscal situation.

And in the case of Egypt, in which we propped up a dictator with that money for years, and we are now facing an angry population because of it, we are left trying to buy off a bunch of radicalized people who are now pissed off and not going to forget anytime soon that we were the dickheads that single-handedly kept Mubarak in power. We should get the fuck out and learn from the same mistake we have been making for 100 years. It's especially salient today, because we are destroying ourselves fiscally, even as we hand out that kind of money to Egypt (Moody's announced yesterday that the U.S. is in danger of losing its investment-grade status by next year).

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's gotta be 'billion.' The entire GDP of Egypt isn't quite $250 billion.

www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:EGY&dl=en&hl=en&q=egypt+gdp

www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/politics/us-foreign-aid.htm

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/us-egypt-usa-aid-idUSBRE82M0UG20120323

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_aid

www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/29/us-egypt-usa-aid-idUSTRE70S0IN20110129

www.propublica.org/blog/item/f.a.q.-on-u.s.-aid-to-egypt-where-does-the-money-go-who-decides-how-spent

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is not completely wrong. But it's very, very wrong.

8. The Big Ragu

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with our embassy in Cairo?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Our entire foreign aid budget is only $53 billion.

www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/19/us-usa-aid-idUSTRE7BI1KO20111219

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cue up the way back machine to 1979.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One billion, five hundred sixty three million, two hundred seventy four thousand dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.