1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protecting the fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, May 21, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you mean exacerbated.

But the point stands.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't believe plexiglass would be a cure as the sun would/could reflect off it blinding certain field players.

They do need to extend the nets. I believe that in Japan they have nets that run around most of the stadium.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The possibility of being smacked by something is the only thing that keeps some folks awake during baseball games.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The problem's that new manufacturers are making bats out of an inferior, softer maple that don't hold up and cost more than ash to begin with.

I don't know why they don't use hickory. It's as sturdy and hard a wood (heh-heh) as it gets.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ouch. It's not like I haven't made that same stupid error before, either.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree with doubledown. It's an accepted risk of going to the game.

Chastise me all you want for bringing my three-month-old daughter to a game and sitting behind the dugout, but I think I'm mature enough, smart enough and safe enough TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME AT ALL TIMES. I'm not texting on my cell phone, talking on my blackberry or starting the wave with my back to the field of play. I'm not chit chatting with neighbor, going to the bathroom without her or reading the program. I'M WATCHING THE BALL AT ALL TIMES.

I asked my wife the other day: Are you worried about where we sit with her?

Her answer? No. Why would I be?

I turn your attention to this: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56524/
    And the link from it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/may/20/rare.events

And then I ask: Please, for the love of God, stop the pussification of America. And pay attention to the fucking game.

7. cranberry

Just like with DD, that's not a sufficient answer. It's a business issue for the club owners -- the people who would be held liable in court -- to decide, and they no longer believe the risk is "acceptable." I'm sure they're all very happy that Pete Incaviglia accepts the risk and pays attention, but it's the other nine thousand people in the danger zone that might not accept the risk that concern them.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was covering a Minor League game last year where a foul ball skimmed the top of the dugout and hit a woman flush on the shin. Snapped it. EMTs had to carry her out of there on a stretcher.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's not just broken bats and balls you have to watch out for. In the Cubs-Astros game last night Lance Berkman lost his bat on strike three twice and sent it sailing into the camera well next to the Astros dugout both times. Almost clipped Carlos Lee each time too.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

There are no laws to protect "stupid."

And there shouldn't be.

The onus should be on the fan, not the club. Baseball's been around for 100-plus years and now all of sudden there is a reason to protect the idiots who don't pay attention? Can't move fast enough to get out of the way? Refuse to watch the pitch and at-bat? Sit where they know they they don't have a chance in hell at saving themselves?

I don't buy it. Never will. I hate people like this. It's not the government's job, or lawyers' jobs to protect everyone in a plastic fucking bubble.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, but it's a lawyer's job to use every injury he can find to sue somebody out of as much money as possible. That's the problem.

12. cranberry

There are thousands of laws to protect the stupid and there should be. And despite where you think the onus should be, it's on the clubs because that's the way the law works. It's basically the same reason you need homeowners insurance -- in case somebody decides to come on your property and impale himself on your fencepost.

Draft saved Draft deleted