1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protecting the fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, May 21, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

MLB is apparently becoming increasingly concerned about pieces of bats flying into the stands and hurting spectators. I can see where it's a considerable liability concern going forward. Not just with bat shards, either. Hard-hit baseballs and intact bats often fly into the stands, too. Does anybody agree with me that baseball needs to increase the use of netting and or plexiglass around the playing field to protect the fans?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's just a matter of time before they have their own NHL-styled debacle, with the death of a child in the stands.

Obviously netting needs to be put up.... if for no other reason that when a ball bounces off it and into fair territory, Bob Davidson can call it a triple.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The netting should extend at least to the home plate end of each dugout.

4. cranberry

I agree. That seems to be the danger zone. Is netting the only choice or could some type of plexiglass work?

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hope no farther than that. I love to sit behind the first base dugout when the only person I have to look out for is me. It keeps me into the game and on my toes. When it's a family outing, I'll go behind the plate, or somewhere safer.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Plexiglass probably holds a lot of heat.

Edited for my inability to use the quote function.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Plexiglass is a bad idea. Extend the nets.

8. cranberry

I'm somewhat amazed the netting hasn't been extended yet. Bats and balls have been flying into the stands for years and, by the way, that little fine-print disclaimer on the back of the ticket doesn't absolve legal liability if someone is injured or killed.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The bats you can blame on Barry Bonds. He used maple, everybody else uses maple. Thick barrel, thin handle makes for flying daggers.

I don't want to see the nets extended. If you have small children, don't sit there. If you do, it's the only scenario where its ok for a grown man wear a glove.

Otherwise, be awake.

10. cranberry

Bats and balls have been flying into the stands at speeds high enough to kill people for years. This isn't about
    Unless you're willing to sign a waiver absolving liability, that's not a good enough answer. Clubs need to become more proactive about this.

It isn't just about maple bats, either. Ash bats snap, too, and baseballs and intact bats fly into the stands as well. The problem has been exasperated by the steady decrease in foul territory in new (and old) ballparks that used to provide some distance from the playing field to the stands.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Why now? It's why there's a warning about balls and bats into the stands before every game. It's an accepted risk

12. cranberry

It's not an accepted risk anymore. MLB is very concerned about this issue. Bat breakage is part of it and they're considering trying to negotiate changes in the width of bat handles, etc. But the bigger part of the equation -- and potentially the most costly -- is the danger of bats, half-bats and baseballs going into the stands. A lot of it is a direct result of efforts to make new ballparks more "intimate." Fans are closer and more litigious than ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted