1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prosecutors close Lance Armstrong investigation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Common sense," whatever the hell that's supposed to mean in this context, doesn't prove jack shit.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sure you are. And others are allowed to ignore a common-sense-rendered verdict.

"Common sense" is the catch-all around here when you don't have factual evidence to back something up.

And now I KNOW you're right.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only way that it's common sense that Lance Armstrong doped is if it's also common sense that all elite cyclists dope. And if that's the case, why should we care that he doped, too? There was no uneven playing field.

I'm not saying I don't think Lance Armstrong doped. I don't honestly care, and I'm well aware of the mountains of evidence suggesting he did. My issue is that if it's unfathomable that someone could dominate without doping, then it must be true that everyone dopes. And if everyone dopes, again, who cares that this guy did? He was following protocol for his sport.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Except that by the rules of his sport, he's cheating.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't care that he doped, I'm just not naive enough to think he didn't.

6. dooley_womack1

No he's not, Az. What you offered as evidence actually supports the counterpoint. And according to how his sport operated, even if he was cheating, it was SOP. In that demimonde, what the rules say would be irrelevant, as it was when Mercyx was competing, in case you were gonna get nostalgic.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I don't care if Armstrong doped. But if you're not going to actually BE better than the rest of the riff-raff, don't put yourself out there as a role model and all that bullshit. Just admit you doped and most people would shrug their shoulders and go, "Duh ... they all do it."

Yet another similarity between Paterno and Armstrong: When you allow yourself to be elevated to a mythical status far beyond that of your peers, it makes for a mighty steep fall when you are revealed to be merely human.

8. jr/shotglass

But you haven't revealed diddly. You used common sense.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I understand the level playing field argument, Dooley, believe me.

That doesn't change the fact that the sport has clear rules against doping - however ridiculous and hypocritical those rules may be.

10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Shotglass, your insistence on seeing only the best in people is truly admirable.

Many people cast aside their naivete in favor of cynicism at some point, but not you.

I am in awe.

11. dooley_womack1

Well, you are what it's all about.

12. jr/shotglass

Well, I'd rather not be cynical. But you're missing the point again.

If you said Armstrong never doped, and you didn't have any proof, just were going by what you think is "common sense," that would be just as bad as what you're doing now.

Draft saved Draft deleted