1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposed college football rule changes for 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Worst proposed rule change since the Alpha Betas proposed Prop 15 in Revenge of the Nerds 2. Can't wait for Malzahn, Leach and Sumlin to do their rap.

"Well party people in the place yo here's a story
    It's about some guys who are bound for glory
    I'll get right down to the nitty-gritty
    The up tempo offense is gonna rock this city
    It's the A to the U-B-U-R-N
    We like to snap it 'fore we count to 10
    And there's a couple of things I'd like to say
    About the rule change it's not OK
    Now I've got no rings yet, but that'll happen
    Unless the Tide-Man gets keeps us from snappin'

THE BALL, KEEP US FROM SNAPPIN' THE BALL

We wear our visors, don't hate us for that.
    We don't hate you just cuz' your D-Line is fat.
    We like to play fast - so keep up the pace
    And if you can't adjust - stop making that face

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The same rationalizations which have been used to get rid of the fumblerooski, the tackle eligible, the swinging-gate extra point and the overload onside kickoff formation.

None of those plays were particularly unfair or unsafe, they simply required opponents to be minimally vigilant and cognizant of the rules to shut them down.

I mean, when 9 guys line up on one side for an onside kick, how fuckin' tough is it to figure out where the ball's going to go? They line up in swinging-gate formation for the PAT, is it really that tough to tell the defense to go with them? You need the rulesmakers to stop those nasty men from being so tricky?

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Bullshit rule. No reason to outlaw an up-tempo offense (even though I don't care for it personally), and even dumber to call up-tempo a "delay of game." Only in the NCAA. Coaches who don't like to defend it are just going to have to adjust to the times. (Iron Bowl is in late November. Not like it was a surprise to Alabama that Auburn runs up-tempo by that point.) Without innovation, we wouldn't even have the forward pass.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Old school football. Those schemes have been around forever. Used to be standard fare in the Big Ten (except, perhaps, the excessive weight standards).

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Old man football.

6. Starman

Actually, huddling between every play did not really become common until the 1940s.

Before then, teams walked up to the line, lined up, the QB (or more often, tailback) called the signals, and they snapped it.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Huddling was a Paul Brown innovation, if I recall correctly.

8. Starman

I think it actually came in on an every-play basis with Clark Shaughnessy and the T-formation in the mid-1930s. Before then I believe teams usually huddled once or twice a possession.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What's the fucking point of having a play clock if you can't snap it until it reaches :29?
    This is part of why college football is so repulsive.

10. Starman

Another stupid arbitary rule pulled out of some gym teacher's ass.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The injury argument does not fly at all. Soccer players rarely seem to get injured
    and their grueling sport has no clock stoppage.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Soccer players get hurt on nearly every play. They just heal exceptionally fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted