1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper Etiquette for trying to pitch something

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by quinone42, Aug 11, 2011.

1. quinone42

quinone42 New Member

[Deleted]

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Oh boy.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

I wouldn't bother calling the TV station because I don't know of any TV stations that publish books.

The most logical thing is to pitch your book idea to a book publisher. Then be prepared to write an outline and a sample chapter. If English is not your first language, make sure you have a really good copy editor/friend read your chapter and outline thoroughly to make sure there are no mistakes in your writing before you submit it.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What do you mean when you write you want to pitch a book to a TV station?

5. quinone42

quinone42 New Member

not pitch, but like, try to contact a tv station to advertise a book/author

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would get together a press release and copies of the book and send one release and one book to each station. Make it a friendly, somewhat modest release. Ask them politely: "We would appreciate any feedback or publicity you could provide."

And make sure to include email address, phone number and mailing address.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

the executive producer. sometimes it might be the assignment editor or morning show producer. Be forewarned that if you get on, it might be on the morning show, so I hope you enjoy pitching a book at 5 a.m.
    Also be sure you know when that station has news and do not call within 45 minutes of any newscast beginning or they will want to strangle you.

Draft saved Draft deleted