1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that we are the most litigious society on earth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 18, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/nyregion/18movealong.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Guy gets arrested for for impeding pedestrians in Times Square -- sounds like he was standing on a sidewalk talking to friends, a cop came over and told him to move along because it gets crowded there ... and he acted like an idiot and paid for it with a night in jail on disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges. I agree it is ridiculous to arrest someone for just standing on a sidewalk, and I think this guy should have fought it in a jury trial. But he pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge that should have ended the stupidity ... and still, somehow our overtaxed legal system has wasted two appeals, lord knows what prosecutorial resources and how much money, and has the highest court in the state deliberating over it like it is Marbury vs. Madison.

What is wrong with us?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He should thank his lucky stars it was just a cop and not hockeybeat.

The guy would have been begging for jail if he stopped in front of HB in NYC.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

8)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They should have charged the cop for being an idiot.

“Isn’t that lawful conduct?” wondered Judge Robert S. Smith. Later he added, “Your conduct can’t be illegal just because an officer noticed it.”

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If the Court of Appeals didn't want to hear the case, they could have decided it without argument. Happens all of the time, usually with the court affirming the lower court's decision without individual votes or a written opinion. Known as a "per curium affirmed". Obviously, something about this case sparked the interest of the justices or their clerks.

6. Yeah, the idiot cop sparked their interest.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

If you have ever tried to walk through Times Square, you would be cheering this police officer. For every non New Yorker who is coming in to visit, keep in mind that the sidewalks are the equivalent to roads in most other places. You wouldn't stop your car in the middle of a busy street, so please don't stop and block a busy sidewalk.

8. The Big Ragu

If you're a New Yorker, your trip from point A to point B doesn't include a stroll through Times Square. What's funny is that this took place at 2 a.m., not at 11 a.m., when those sidewalks might as well have a maze of concrete barriers built into them.

In general, though, I agree with you. I still want to give jgmacg's "sack full of nickels" solution a try one day.

9. Webster

Ragu, for people below a cetain age (ours for example), Times Square is the place to congregate. Haven't been there at 2:00 a.m. recently, but I have walked through the area after midnight and it is a freaking zoo of people.

Not sure why the cop couldn't have gotten away without just scaring the crap out of the kid, but I tend to lead on the side of the officer here.

10. The Big Ragu

Webster, You are correct. I prefer to congregate down by the entrance to the Holland Tunnel.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was really expecting a more frivolous waste of time and taxpayers money than someone getting arrested for standing on a sidewalk.

In fact, my disappointment is so keen I just may sue, Ragu.

12. Webster

I thought that you hung out on 3rd Avenue just off of the Gowanus, by the docks.

Draft saved Draft deleted