1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of how hard it is to 'solo' sports talk radio...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Feb 10, 2011.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Van Pelt is without Risillo today on ESPN Radio. Listening right now.

My gosh... he is strugg-uh-ling.

I guess I am more surprised than anything else. The WWL should have everything at its disposal to bail the guy out. Can't they put one of their ten anchors sitting around doing nothing on to help out Van Pelt.

Yowza.

I know a lot of you can't stand Cowherd but he is one of the few, the very few, who can solo a show and make it interesting or, at the very least, listenable.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cowherd can.

Siciliano can.

List ends there.

LA's Steve Mason is notorious for not being able to go 1 minute on air w/o a sidekick. Not 1 minute. He totally freaks out.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Seems like the guys who survive solo rely heavily on the pregnant pause.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jim Rome's been shitting octuplets every show since 1996.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny. Was listening to Gottlieb just yesterday and thought he could really use someone to bounce off of. And since ESPN doesn't use a lot of phone callers (do any of their shows use them?) - it makes not having a second voice more obvious.
    Though I've listened to some shows on FSR where they pile three or more people on with diminishing returns.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Epic ... ... ... ... rack ... him ... ... ... ... good take ... ... ... ... ... ... that take did not suck ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... octuplets ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... awesome.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

You can solo if you're interacting with callers and have a TON of interviews, but if you're not, it's next to impossible unless there's a lot of stuff to lead-in and lead-out of.

Even most of the local solo guys around here bounce stuff off the sidekick.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd add the overnight guy, Jason Smith, to that mix.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And I'll add Smith's predecessor -- Todd Wright -- to that list as well.

Dude got me home in one piece on many a late night.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not easy, but if you're a pro you can get by solo with help from phone calls, e-mails, tweets. At least you should be able to do a passable job.

I've got "1-888-SAY-ESPN" memorized from hearing it so often, yet I've only heard callers on the Brian Kenny show. And he's not bad.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sure a sidekick helps, but a lot of times the producers bail out a host's ass. Have a good producer and that's 80 percent of the battle.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Rob Weingarten used to do an overnight show in DC as "The Nocturnal Warrior". He was excellent in that role each and every night.

Currently in Philly, "Big Daddy"Graham does a very good "solo job" in the overnight slot on WIP radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted