1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Projected A-SG starting line-ups

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jul 2, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is what I came up with:

American League

1) Ichiro Suzuki, CF
    2) Derek Jeter, SS
    3) Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    4) David Ortiz, 1B (DH)
    5) Magglio Ordonez, LF
    6) Placido Polanco, 2B
    7) Vladimir Guerrero, RF
    8) Ivan Rodriguez, C
    9) Johan Santana, LHP

To cut off your cries of protest: I would put Guerrero behind Polanco so that not only would Polanco get "better" pitches to hit, but having Vlad in the seven-hole makes the bottom third of the line-up a little bit stronger. Santana would be my starter to counteract the lefty-heavy line-up of the NL>

National League

1) Jose Reyes, SS
    2) Chase Utley, 2B (was batting third)
    3) Prince Fielder, 1B (was batting 8th.......</ducking>)
    4) Barroid Bonds, LF
    5) David Wright, 3B
    6) Ken Griffey, Jr., RF
    7) Carlos Beltran, CF (was batting 2nd)
    8) Russell Martin, C (was batting 7th)
    9) Jake Peavy, RHP

This is where it gets interesting. I was had a tough time convincing myself to sink the NL leader in HRs down to the eighth spot, but since this is in SF, the crowd will be clamoring to see Bonds batting clean-up. Chase Utley is a better overall hitter than either Griffey or Fielder, and I like how from Bonds on down, it goes lefty-righty. Just as I have Santana start against the lefty-strong NL line-up, Peavy would be my man to go against the mostly right-handed AL line-up. Some people would argue for Brad Penny, but Peavy's stuff is just flat out vile.

Commence arguing

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Starting Santana for any reason at all over C.C. Sabathia just won't do.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

indiansnetwork, so nice of you to join us!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fielder and Martin can be switched in the NL. And I really don't see Polanco batting anywhere but eighth in the All-Star Game. Possbily seventh, ahead of Pudge, but I doubt it (even with a high average).

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Well then, offer up your alternatives.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wait, you have the National League home run leader batting eighth?

Well done.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

No way does Fielder bat 8th. Utley will bat 2nd and Beltran will either bat 7th or 8th. Fielder's batting 3rd.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why the fuck is Pudge Rodriguez in the starting lineup? Fan voting, especially with the internet voting being added is so dumb.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Thank you for waking me up. I made that line-up while sitting at my other job, bored out of my mind, so I didn't have all my faculties with me. I guess I was thinking that Beltran was actually having a worthy ASG-starting season. Oops.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

American League

1) Ichiro Suzuki, CF
    2) Derek Jeter, SS
    3) Magglio Ordonez, LF
    4) David Ortiz, 1B (DH)
    5) Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    6) Vladimir Guererro, RF
    7) Placido Polanco, 2B
    8) Ivan Rodriguez, C
    9) Johan Santana, LHP

I think you've got to have the league's leading hitter batting third, especially in front of Ortiz, Rodriguez and Guerrero. I know Maggs has the RBIs, too, but he's more likely to create opportunities for others than Rodriguez.

11. You'll likely have to scratch A-Rod now. Strained hamstring ... looks like the 15-day DL.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't think for a minute that Barroid (love the name) Bonds was not voted in by the fans as a starter?

There is no way in hell this world voted that guy in without some kind of shenanigans going on. I just don't buy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted