1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Project Management Professional (PMP) credential

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like Microsoft Project.
    But I'm not dismissive of project management.

It's not an issue of "do the work and get things done." Organizations don't really function that way.

It's not necessary for someone to be PMP certified to be a good project manager, but when you're hiring you're more likely to get someone good if set minimum standards.

It's not necessary to have a college degree to be a good journalist, but when I was going through journalism resumes, I'm looking for college grads.

If I was looking for a project manager and found someone with experience and/or a degree in project management, I'd wonder why the person hadn't taken the logical step of getting the certification.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

So are Project Managers today what Black Belts used to be when Six Sigma was The Thing?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Kind of.
    PMP is a specific certification with the field of project management.

There are similar in that Six Sigma delas with processes and effectiveness. The difference is the PMBOK/PMP best practices do not attempt to handle processes and effectiveness organization-wide.

The majority of projects fail. They don't come in on time and/or they don't come in on budget.
    Some times they turn into Boston's Big Dig, but usually they are less epic than that.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I should clarify, by "difficult to obtain," I meant in terms of having to go to school for a semester or two, or four. No doubt you need to do your homework and there's a lot of stuff to learn. It does, however, seem like if you have a handle on the basics and a decent brain in your head, that you can throw yourself into the material and preparation and obtain it in a few weeks if needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

PMPing ain't easy.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

In my new company, it will be essential to have if I ever want a promotion.

Draft saved Draft deleted