1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Programs for effin' studs and effin' stud wannabes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vandelay, Aug 11, 2008.

1. vandelay

vandelay New Member

Reading the thread on the new NYT hire was my first introduction to the METPRO program he apparently came from. Are there any others like it?

They don't have to be for minorities or even the same format. I just want to feel like I'm doing something more productive than "get your resume on as many desks as possible."

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know if Pulliam Internships are still around. I knew an SE who had one and he was mentored by writing coaches. But in the end, he still had to send his resume to tons of papers because he wasn't handed a job on a silver platter.

3. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Pulliam Fellowships are still around at The Indianapolis Star and The Arizona Republic.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

APSE does one. A friend was in it, and he said it was a good experience.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

There is the Poynter Institute, too. I worked with a couple of folks who have logged some time there and turned out all right.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Pulliam Fellowship's a great program. Not quite MetPro (in that it's only for a summer). But they hook you up with some top-notch people.
    On your own in the job hunt, though, like Stitch said.
    I also know people who've done Poynter's six-week post-college summer program and done well by it.

Draft saved Draft deleted