1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why would the YMCA want you doing that? Or is it one of your other part-time jobs, since you can't seem to find gainful, full-time employment?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated

If I could tell you what I did, Doc...

Nah, who am I kidding. I still wouldn't tell you.

- - -

I missed SportsBruh's comment from earlier in the thread.

Bruh, nice work. :)

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated

I think he tests computer speakers

[​IMG]
    Can you hear me now?

4. I think Rok counts SportsJournalists.com as one of his part-time jobs.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Now that...that was stong, Poindexter. If I were Jim Rome, you would just have been awarded the SlingBox for post of the day.
    - - - - - - -

Here's something which speaks both to my own effect on things but even more so to the effect of SportsJournalists.com:

The first post of this thread pokes fun at Florio for his legion of spelling/typo errors on his site, the same type of thing he likes to chide writers and broadcasters for (poorly used language). That was September 26th.

Within a week (October 1st to be exact), Florio is requesting a proofreader on the site's main page, the "Rumor Mill" section.

Two things:

1. I believe there are no coincidences, particularly the type of coincidence
    mentioned above. You're telling me the Florio had a proofreader once and
    now, within a week of my posting this thread and taking him to task for his
    poor proofreading (especially as it is the kind of thing he likes to rip in others,
    it's not something he wants to be vulnerable on), he just kind of 'out of the
    blue' decided to announce he needs a new proofreader? On the main page of
    the site?

Right. Bridge - sell - Brooklyn.

2. As I've said 1,000,000 times -- in the spirit of trying to empower others --
    people read this site. Important people. Influential people.
    Including bloggers. It's unreal to me how much time people spend trying to
    downplay the site's (and potentially their own) influence instead of using that
    energy to 'show them what you got,' so to speak. But that is each member's
    choice, I know, and I'm not going to try to tell anyone how to post. But impact
    is there to be had, at least IMO.

In addition to other forms of writing I like, I enjoy muckraking. And I like sports. So writing about the Bill Simmonses, Ric Buchers, William Rhodens, Mike Lupicas...and, yes, the Mike Florios of the world is fun and rewarding for me.

Look, there probably isn't a day that goes by that I don't go to PFT.com. I go there all the time. But that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism, or that when Florio calls for someone's public ouster complete with email link to their superior that I'm not going to call him (or whomever) on it. Same way people call me on my own mistakes in my writing and endeavors.

If you look at my YouTube video, I look like CRAP. And I can admit that (there's really no way around admitting my poor appearance in that video). And a number of the comments which I allowed to be posted say, in so many words: "You look like crap and so does your place."

So I'm not above criticism, far from it. Usually, I welcome it. So I'm not sure why it's so surprising that someone who can find fault with himself (and/or entertain the fault others find with him) is able to point out the things which others could be doing better.

I read. I write. I analyze. So after I read a piece or a site for awhile, things just start popping out at me like "huh, that's kind of odd," or "damn, this person is SUCH a freaking homer for 'Player X.'" And then I write about it.

Nothing particularly mysterious or perfidious. It's just part of who I am and what I do. Most here do the same thing, in one form or another.

:)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I know exactly what Rok is talking about.

Along the same lines, I was driving home after work last night and stopped at a light. I sat and I sat and I sat and I sat. Now, this is usually a pretty long light, but this time it was unbelievable. More than a minute of sitting, and the worst part was that not a single car came through the intersection. I was about ready to just drive through.

Instead, I held my hands out, closed my eyes, counted to three, said "Light -- CHANGE!" and I clapped my hands. When I opened my eyes, the light had changed.

It is true, there are no coincidences.

Draft saved Draft deleted