1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Why is Don West always yelling like he's on his last breath?

Add those two to the non-descript entrance music/lack of good entrance videos, the neon green lighting at the entrance ways, the studio audience and finally Dave Penzer as the ring announcer (that is him, right?) and I feel like it's a 21st century version of a WCW Saturday Night or Thunder broadcast.

And that's a shame because with the talent they are assembling in the ring, they could assemble a much better supporting cast and a better looking product around it.

The Bound for Glory preview video with Fozzy was excellent, though.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

So WWECW can't make it on its own with house shows. They're going to be touring now with SmackDown on the road. The least they could do is try some interpromotional stuff like Benoit vs. RVD, etc.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

"WE GOTTA GO!!!!"

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

You forgot the Fabulous Freebirds.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Ah, the Fabulous Freebirds. I remember watching GCW the Saturday afternoon they dropped 4 pile-drivers on Ted Dibiase outside the ring on the concrete floor.

Of course, I was ruined on rasslin' when I was about 12 when Wildfire Rich and whoever he'd just bloodied in the main event at the local coliseum came out the back door together afterward, hopped into Rich's blue Trans-Am with the T-top and zoomed away to wherever it was hack wrestlers live.

6. Claws for Concern

There was a hotel around the corner from the Denver Coliseum where a few fans would hang out and wait for the AWA wrestlers to come in the lobby. Met a slew of pro wrestlers, even saw "feuding" wrestlers get in separate elevators to keep the kayfabe alive!

7. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

It's not a good sign when, on the Tuesday morning after RAW (WWE's flagship program), no one has written a single word regarding their thoughts on the show.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why talk about that traveshamockery of a show when we can relive the glorious 70s and 80s?

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Here's what I truly love about this thread: 90 percent or more of this thread is stuff we like about pro wrestling, not a few geeks and jokers breaking in to tell us how silly they think we are for liking pro wrestling. We've gotta appreciate that.

(Hope I didn't just jinx the thread)

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My first year in the business, the WWF had a show at one of the local high schools. So a photographer and I got credentials (we had to fill out all kinds of forms to get passes from the WWF) and went.

The main event was Magnificent Muraco and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. Big enemies, supposedly.

We went to a local bar afterwards. We were in one of the three rooms in the place, and as we went to leave a couple of hours later, Muraco and Valentine were in the other room, finishing off a pitcher of beer and having a hell of a good time.

11. Claws for Concern

I hear crickets ...

12. Claws for Concern

Given it is Halloween and pro wrestling offers lots of ideas for a costume, one of the best sites to check out on a day like today is ...

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/

It deals with the story ideas, characters, etc. that are universally loathed by fans of pro wrestling and, of course, those who detest it.

There's also a link to some bad Halloween costumes -- http://www.wrestlecrap.com/classic8.html

Enjoy!

Draft saved Draft deleted