1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We've got something called the World Wrestling Alliance heading up this way for a card Nov. 17. Anyone familiar with this promotion?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I haven't watched in years, but will wrestling survive when Vince dies?

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sounds like an independent to me. Might be the usual deal of bringing in 1-2 old-timers for the name value, and then the rest of the card will be filled with a bunch of youngsters fresh out of (or still in) wrestling school.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

GimpyScribe speaks the truth. Samoa Joe-Kurt Angle is a match for the ages. Good too that it will be in a TNA ring because WWE would NEVER have this happen with Triple H in the company.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely an indie. checked their roster and there are no old timers that I can see. There is a Haystacks Calhoun, who is a much younger version of the legendary big man of the 70s. Couple of Vachons but no idea if they're related to Paul and Maurice.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The WWE is dead.

Long live Lucha Libre!

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How can you be tired of DX? They brought RAW back to life and they're actually having fun this time around. I haven't seen them have this much fun in a long time.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't forget Skandar Akbar and Devastation Inc.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Pro wrestling, years ago as a kid, was the bomb. I lived in AWA territory (Denver) and I'd see the early 1980s guys like Curt Hennig, Jesse Ventura, Jerry Blackwell, Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell, Ken Patera, Rick Martel, Nick Bockwinkel, Mad Dog Vachon and, of course, the Clawmaster Baron Von Raschke!

11. Three words, folks.

Ring. Of. Honor.

Best indy promotion going today, a wrestling promotion that actually emphasizes... *gasp* wrestling.

Granted at least half the roster can't interview their way out of a wet paper bag, but the in-ring product is top-notch.

As for Angle/Joe, it's definitely a dream match but TNA is rushing into it. Could benefit from a lot more buildup, and I doubt Angle will be completely healthy. And against someone who works as stiff as Joe, Angle could easily hurt himself again if he goes into it at less than 100%.

12. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

1. DX was a great thing to bring back, but it has worn on too long with just HHH and HBK. They needed to get one or two more members to make it work. Now I dont want to see BA Billy or X-Pac, but a two-person revolt doesnt work, it just isn't realistic.
    2. The other problem is that he best villan of all time, arguably, HHH, wanted to do the DX so he could shed some of his heelness. He has wanted to turn face for a while and since he is with Vince's daughter, he always gets his way. Problem is, he is so much better as a true heel.
    3. Cena is a problem. The guy is a good physical talent (anyone see him F-U Big Show?), but his character is way too hatable and he is never going to fully get over as a face.
    4. Edge is a great heel and would be a nice running mate for HHH if he ever turned back. As a villan on his own, or even with Orton, it just doesn't work because neither is as physically intimidating to pull it off.
    5. Comedy is a must and until DX reappeared, it was really missing. I miss the days when Edge and Christian were doing 5-second poses and when Kurt Angle was a stooge with Austin and Vince. They need some true comedic talent to make it entertaining.

So, all of that said, what does WWE need? Well, it needs a Rock. He was funny, a great face or villan and was the perfect mixer for the entire show. Without him and Austin, who also was the glue that tied everything together storylinewise, it is just weak and they just keep rolling through failed experiment after failed experiment.

Draft saved Draft deleted