1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional/Technical writing jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is the pay like? I know UPS pays about $11 an hour for people and edit stuff like aircraft maintenance manuals. But some that deal with companies that produce weapons and such for the government pay pretty well but you need a security clearance.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Look into web writing.

I just landed a gig writing text for the new website of a telecommunications corporation. It's easy work, the pay is redonkulous and the benefits are through the roof.

Expect to write more than just the text, though. I'm on my third strategy document in the last month. So, take a course on strategic planning (I already had a couple under my belt after moving into media relations for a couple of years).

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When I was unemployed I saw a ton of ads for technical writing jobs. I had no idea if I could do that, and fortunately never got so desperate as to have to apply for one. However, a friend of mine who used to be a sports writer did get a job like this. He said it's pretty easy and pays pretty well.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do I know you? :)

Seriously, there's opportunity for sports writers in technical writing. Writers know writing and most of them can edit. Honestly, that's all you need. I've said this before, but disregard the "5 years of experience necessary" line in most of the job ads. The job I currently have said I needed 8 years of experience. I had zippy, obviously.

If you see something you want to pursue, just apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted