1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional discussion of coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Did this kid kill himself? Anyone have details about that?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I haven't heard how the shooter died.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I could have swore I saw a flash in an upper floor window, right by a tree.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Willie's post raises a point I will probably fail miserably trying to make, but here it goes.

How long will it be before CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. find a "hero" and beat us to death with his or her story?

I'm not trying to make light of the situation but trying to point out the shallowness of TV coverage of events like this. Every tragedy HAS to have a hero. It just HAS to as far as cable news is concerned.

That bothers me for some reason. It's not CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc's job to make us feel good in the aftermath of the tragedy.

Report the story.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Washington Post will have a live Q&A at 3 p.m. local time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Can there be many As to all the Qs at this point?

7. sportschick

They've probably got their heros in the kids who held the door shut while the killer was shooting at it trying to get back in.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Probably not. The WaPost seems to be a little quick on the trigger with this.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably. And I'm not saying these kids aren't heroes. They are. My point is the way stories like this get covered. Victim. Killer. Hero. All wrapped up in nice neat packages.

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

How do these kids get hooked up with CNN, MSNBC and FOX for phone interviews?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that...I don't recall Columbine wrapping up in a nice package.

My little nit today with coverage is putting every student's photos on the air. One I saw today had basically a police car behind a tree. That was it. That photo could be taken on any campus anywhere on a normal day.

12. sportschick

What I always fiind interestng in cases like this are those kids, or even ordinary people like on Flight 93, who become "heroes" It gives me faith in humankind that people are willing to risk their own lives to save others. I don't know if I could do it, but it gives me hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted