1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional and Amateur Cycling -Sports Journalism Desert or Greenfield?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabegonzo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. wannabegonzo

wannabegonzo New Member

As stated I am junior at HS looking to purse a career in journalism. I got some great feedback from some of the readers here on this forum. I specifically received suggestions to pursue local sports coverage of the upcoming football season for local newspapers.

What are your thoughts about the cycling industry? My HS has a growing cycling team and that to me sounds pretty interesting.

Just curious what the pros think if that would be a good coverage opportunity.

Thank you,

-wannabe

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Cycling stories have their niche. Boxing, action sports, BMX, skateboarding, auto racing fall into this category too. They have their places and some websites and magazines will bite on these story ideas. The hard part is finding the site or mag that will buy your pitch.
    Look for an interesting hook. For examples, I have written auto racing stories on 90-year-old WWII veterans and teenage girls in stock cars.
    Or try your local paper. Just don't be surprised if they steal the idea from you, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted