1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profanity on ESPN News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Slash, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Slash

Slash Member

Watched the Clemens press conference replay on ESPN News. Clemens played a phone conversation between he and McNamy. McNamy drops and F-bomb and BS-bomb that made it over the air. How come ESPN didnt bleep that out. I could see if it was live, but this was later.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Maybe they wanted to have the full effect of the interview? Or maybe someone just wanted to get fired.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think that clearly, someone wanted to get axed so he could tell his buddies a funny story later.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's one uttered by an anchor...

(NSFW language)

5. markvid

markvid Guest

It's cable, different rules.

6. If it's good enough for that Bob Knight movie, it's good enough for the news. I would applaud it whole-heartedly as an act of integrity if I thought it actually was a conscious act on their part.

Edit: clarity.

7. Slash

Slash Member

I think it should have been completely bleeped out. It sounded like a portion of its was bleeped but not all. Good point about the Knight movie.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe some of the F-bombs came when the engineer was snacking on a Ding Dong.

Hard to wipe the chocolate on your khakis and reach for the button in time.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, what time was this interview aired on ESPN? Regardless, being owned by Disney, I'm surprised ESPN let any obscenity fly -- especially without warning, if that was the case.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oddly, they bleeped out a few swears by Clemens at the end of his press conference on ESPN2, but then left them unedited when showing the highlights on SportsCenter.

Personally, I don't think they should bleep swears and I think the FCC as a whole stands in direct contradiction to the First Amendment, so none of that bothers me.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably because SportsCenter aired during the FCC's so-called "safe harbor" period, when you can get by with profanity.

I'm puzzled by the choice to air them, though (if it was indeed a choice and not a goof-up), because ESPN regularly bleeps "ass."

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to threadjack, but I've always found it interesting that TV stations and networks are the ones who get fined when someone drops an un-caught F-bomb on the air. To me, it seems quite a bit more logical to punish the person saying it, not the person airing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted