1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prof Murdered By Autistic Child

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Seconded.
    What a terrible, awful tale, though. Sounds like the local cops and DA are trying their best to find some kind of justice.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

OMG, I got it! Wade Phillips!

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

UPDATE (And no surprise, here, based on the information about this story when it first came out in Feb.) -- Son unable to assist in his defense due to his condition, a condition which a supposedly loving God gave him.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/03/20/news/doc49c387b0eca96246122044.txt

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Where does the 'loving God' element figure into this?

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Not wishing to have to state the obvious here, 21, and I am sure you and I know what I was saying, that if a loving God can do this to a person to make him so unable to communicate that he can't defend himself, why do people bother worshipping God in the first place? *That* is where *I* was going with that comment.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think God was awfully gracious to give me life and a soul, so that might be a legit reason for worship.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

So having an autistic son disqualifies me from leading Torah study this week-end? Damn, I'd better get an e-mail out telling people not to come.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Folks, BN was making a comment about his own religious beliefs (or non-belief in God). Do we really need to try and "convert" him?

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Thank you, AlleyAllen. Apparently, not everybody understood what I was trying to convey. But I am glad you, and perhaps some others, did. Again, thanks.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then *go* there instead of being *obtuse*.

11. jps

jps Active Member

yeah ... my sister has some learning disabilities and competes in special olympics. I'd probably better stop that whole church-goin thing on sundays.

good grief.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I have no interest in converting him, AA. Nobody's required to agree with me.

If he'd slagged my favorite band, no one on this board would question my firing back.

Instead he combined the topics of autism and faith in a way I found offensive. He's entitled to know the reactions his comments provoke in people.

Draft saved Draft deleted