1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Product marketing that sucked you in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Nov 7, 2013.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dollar Shave Club, Dorco blades. Look them up. They work just as well, if not better, than Gillette, Shick, etc.

I'm with pern, though, on the barber shop shaves. Those things are amazing, and they make me look much better than I ever could. One of these days I'll finally go with the straight razor (but will not fall for the product marketing from the Art of Shaving).

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Art of Shaving tempts me every time I see it!

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? Why?

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Why am I loyal to companies that sponsor sports teams I like? Because if they see fit to be associated with something I like, then I'll return the favor. That's why they sponsor teams. I won't buy a product I don't like because of it. But let's say Coke sponsors something I support, and I want something to drink; I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other for Coke or Pepsi, so I'll purchase Coke. On the flip side, I don't particularly care for Burger King, and even if BK started sponsoring someone I support, I wouldn't run out and start eating there.

One specific example I can think of is about 15 years I was in the market for a new TV. There were 3-4 models that I considered equal, but I bought the Sharp because they were Manchester United's shirt sponsor at the time. I didn't go out shopping with the intention of only buying a Sharp, but the company's sponsorship was the reason they won out over the other models.

Another example would be Texaco sponsoring Davey Allison. I was a huge Allison fan when he was alive. If I needed gas, and there was a Texaco and an Exxon (or whatever) on the same corner, I'd stop at the Texaco. I wouldn't drive out of my way just to go to a Texaco, but if the choice was there, I'd support the company that supports what I like.

My question is why not? If you don't support things you like, what do you support?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It didn't suck me in - but Fart's folks were roped in by Betamax.
    What a complete fuck-up of a company.

6. joe

joe Active Member

But would you eat a choosy mom?

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I took a class at the business school and there was a case study on Gillette. They said that the free packs to college students was by far their most effective form of marketing.

As for me, I got a free sample of Right Guard Sport Fresh Deodorant spray at some point in college and I've used it for the past 25 years, even though it is harder to find.

8. joe

joe Active Member

When it comes to toiletries, I buy whatever's on sale. I like the Sensor Excel because it's easier to shave under my nose with two blades than with three.

Before it was discontinued, I really liked the Brush Plus, the one that had shaving cream in a tube that fit inside the brush. Wet the brush, turn the dial and lather. Saw it in a magazine and was hooked.

Draft saved Draft deleted