1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producers Guild Best Picture nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Usually aligns pretty closely with the Academy Awards:

http://www.ivillage.com/producers-guild-nominations-2012/1-a-415387

Best Picture
    The Artist
    Bridesmaids
    The Descendants
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    The Help
    Hugo
    The Ides of March
    Midnight in Paris
    Moneyball
    War Horse

This NYT piece explains some of the common differences in the films each nominate, meaning "Bridesmaids" probably won't be nominated come Oscar time.

2. Dick Whitman

By the way, it's funny to see people worked up about "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" not being nominated. It has a certified rotten rating at Rotten Tomatoes.com, with only 53 percent of critics reviewing it positively. That's god-awful for a film with Oscar dreams.

It's like just because it stars Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock, is directed by "The Daldry," and is about 9/11, people think it should be considered.

There's also the matter of, you know, being a good film.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Surprised not to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bridesmaids?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was disappointed Young Adult didn't get any love. Tho I would think Theron will get some award noms.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen five of the nominated films. Can't say any of them will be required viewing 10-15 years from now.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I haven't seen any of them.

The only movie mentioned that I care to see is the one with the bad reviews: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

I did read the book that The Help was based on. I have the book for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on the nook but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

still don't get all the love for this one

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've only seen three of them.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I greatly enjoyed Bridesmaids, but only in the Golden Globes musical/comedy category would I expect it to be a best picture nominee

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked Moneyball, but I am more than a little surprised to see it get mentioned as a likely Best Picture nominee.

12. Dick Whitman

I've seen four of them:

"Bridesmaids"
    "Moneyball"
    "Midnight in Paris"
    "The Descendants"

I really enjoyed all four. "The Descendants" was Best Picture timber. "Midnight in Paris," though, was an absolute delight from first frame to last. Except for one plot contrivance, it felt almost perfect to me. I'd love to see it sneak up on some films over the next few weeks, "Shakespeare in Love"-style.

I'll definitely see "The Help" soon. Probably "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," as well.

I still would not be surprised to see "Planet of the Apes" or "Super 8" sneak into the field before all is said and done.

Draft saved Draft deleted