1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producer - SI.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Looks like a pretty good gig. From jjobs:

Company: Time Inc.
    Position: Producer -- SI.com (Sports Illustrated)
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 14, 2008
    Job ID: 881690

Description:
    Producer-SI.com

The Producer is responsible for maintaining one or more of our major sport pages, editing and rewriting copy and producing engaging original content while making the section front a destination for diehard sports fans. The challenge is to combine original journalism from the site's own staffers with vivid photography and wire stories and create pages that are engrossing, entertaining and informative. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years editorial experience at a magazine or newspaper with a strong focus on sports. Online producing experience preferred. Must be able to work night and weekend shifts.

Please apply using the following link.

http://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=391&siteid=5161&Codes=NJNJ,95543BR

2. sk2283

sk2283 New Member

Anyone know what a ballpark salary for a gig like this might be?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Ballpark? Sounds like an entry job of sorts, so I'd say somewhere around $40,000, give or take a few thousand.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think this same job was posted a few weeks back on one of our threads

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Don't get me wrong but this sounds like your doing the work of an Editor without the Editor title.

"The Producer is responsible for maintaining one or more of our major sport pages" Same as an editor who is responsible for maintaining one section in a newspaper.

I would say the pay would be somwhere between $5-$60.000

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Typically, a web producer is a copy editor for the web. A group of them will work over a web editor, or assistant editor or something.

7. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

If it's a copy editor level position I'd expect closer to $30,000 than 50 or 60, no?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It may be for a newspaper, but for SI.com I'd say it would be higher. Remember, you are asking someone to do copy editor work, plus other stuff.

You need to know the AP style, have solid news judgment, blah blah blah.... plus you need to know HTML, how to use the computer programs they use. And constantly edit edit edit.

The thing about websites are, they are never finished. They can always look better, there is always more space, there is always something that can be added, or fixed or moved. With a newspaper, it can get filled, and the deadline says when you have to be done.

No deadlines on the web. I'm sure Super Bowl days or similarly large sporting events mean long-ass nights since there is a lot more to do than for a newspaper.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It might pay more, but I'd guess you're paying more cause it's in NY.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Oh you know what, the last job they had posted was the same position but in Atlanta.

Anyone know if they made a hire for that position yet?

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I was thinking this was in Atlanta, so if it is in NY then certainly I'm guessing it would be more money. However, let me tell you that you don't really need to know HTML (or at least very little) and the content management systems these sites use aren't exactly rocket science, so I think you are overstepping the qualifications - especially since it is 1 or 2 years of experience being looked for.

I'm guessing the basic duties are: Putting up AP stories (and perhaps adding photos to stories); writing the covers for a certain sport; perhaps editing some columnist copy, but I have the feeling others might do that at SI; perhaps pointing out/fixing errors in AP copy.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

basic html.... how to do tables, bolds, italics.... linking..... adding video, adding audio, posting pictures... that stuff.

The content management system in place might be really good and do it for you though.

Example: Click browse to load audio file.

if you know your <b>'s and <p>'s you should be good.

And maybe you can even get on cash cab.

Draft saved Draft deleted