1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I saw a Patch editor who used to work at my paper at Super Bowl Media Day yesterday, and thought that might be a sign of hope… however temporary. :-\

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

According to a Patch editor on Twitter, Rhode Island is losing nearly all of its editors. At one point there were 15, now looks like it's going to be down to two or three.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Heard from a source that everyone in Michigan is gone.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Man, that was very Lumbergian.
    "Yeeeeahhh .... if you could just ... not work for us anymore, that'd be great. Thanks."

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Nope, not half of Rhode Island - all of the editors were laid off, according to one editor.
    Nobody seems to know what's going to happen with the sites going forward. One editor said sites may still exist, but not sure how'd they remain hyperlocal.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Two managers remain, yeah. The sales staff was also laid off. My assumption would be that they're going to just be responsible for overseeing sites - moderating comments - and making sure they're populated with aggregated articles. Theoretically, you could make money on them if you only have one employee working on, say, 10 sites, just because the expenses would be so low. You would just have to sell a few ads to make something. However, it's so, so low revenue that I'm not sure why anyone would want to.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it is a short-term solution until they can figure out how to adopt the platform and use the brand.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I got an offer from Patch out of the blue when they were ramping up hiring.

I passed ... mainly because my wife thought their business model was terrible. She teaches financial literacy. We both agreed that ... believe it or not ... my print job was safer.

That proved to be true.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A former co-worker was a Patch editor in California and was part of the layoff. She just posted a link to her goodbye column of Facebook. It had a glaring grammatical error in the first sentence.

Sigh.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Volunteer proofreaders could fix that. They might even win a dinner.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted