1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here's a strategy for Patch -- be as fucking trolltastic as possible. My local Patch reporter is following a fight with racial overtones that resulted in a couple of arrests. Legitimate story. But today she rolls out the statements from the white teens, with a tag at the end to check back Friday for the black teens' side!

http://oaklawn.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/new-details-emerge-in-teen-melee-at-wolfe-wildlife-park

As you can imagine, especially in a place as racially tense as Chicago, the trolls have taken the bait in the comments section. Which, of course, means success for the Patch reporter.

To me, the issue is beyond what side is telling the truth, which isn't, or whether anybody is. Instead of providing decent reporting on a troubling incident, Patch is just fanning the flames of racial animosity for cheap page views. It's pretty fucking disgusting.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Check back Friday for the other side's views?
    One-sided race-baiting might spark riots Thursday night.

Not a good approach. Pretty fucking disgusting, yeah.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're worried African-Americans might riot if the local Patch site doesn't present their side of a story in a timely fashion?

Doesn't sound like you have a high opinion of African-Americans, or their ability to control their emotions.

Does your town have a lot of race riots? Or is there some other reason for you to worry about something like this?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Looking at the comments, it won't be the African-Americans rioting. Seriously, though, no one will be rioting.

It's news that there was a rumble at a popular park, and there's no need to shy away from the racial angle. However, it's incredibly irresponsible to knowingly -- and this is being done knowingly -- stir shit up to play into well-established fears of the site's overwhelmingly white audience. Hell, even putting the "black side" up separately is still going to stoke those fears. It's a cheap, dangerous way to attract an audience, and it doesn't inform anybody.

5. Remember, the local Patch editors are "journalists."

6. YankeeFan

Has the update been posted?

Did we avoid the race riot Riptide was worried about?

7. Riptide

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://oaklawn.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/black-teens-tell-their-side-of-park-melee

No riots, YF. But still baiting posing as journalism.

9. YankeeFan

So, the black folk didn't riot Riptide? I guess that was narrowly averted, huh. Cuz, black folk riot all the time, right?

Dumb fuck.

10. Riptide

My point was about responsible journalism, dumbass.
    And I didn't say anything about any particular race starting trouble.

11. YankeeFan

Just to be sure, you should probably make sure your car doors are locked if you drive through a minority neighborhood.

Be safe out there Riptide, and try to avoid the race riots.

12. Riptide

Good luck in your bunker, Whitey.

Draft saved Draft deleted