1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Meet the new Patch. Same as the old Patch.

[​IMG]

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Somw of the doubled-up towns are by design, at least in RI. Bristol-Warren makes sense because they share a school district. Tiverton-Little Compton's a natural because LC's a tiny town on a peninsula south of Tiverton.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What makes me wonder about the viability of Patch is this: I've only heard of it in two places -- here and on Facebook. I can honestly say I've never heard of it anywhere else. So for all the people who aren't either here or Facebook, how are they getting the word about Patch? Because it's not like there are billboards or TV commercials or even radio commercials. Unless I've missed them.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Patch is only in 15 states now. If you live in one of the other 35, it's not likely you've heard of it.

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

You've likely never heard of it even if you're in one of the 15 states that it's in.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are they running more than one site or is it one site with more than one town? They have always had Patch sites that cover more than one town, like the one on Oakmont and Plum together in Western PA. (Which, if you know anything about the area, is very odd when you consider they left out Verona.)

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would seem odd since they launched about 300 Patch sites in December, but I guess you never know.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

our long island town is a 'patch.com' area. all i get is silence, blank stares and/or, 'never heard of it -- what the heck is that, an embroidery site?' ??? ??? ???

i will say it sure makes tracking real estate sales easy... ;)

it could be very successful eventually if it's investors have endless means to be patient but, man alive, they've done a terrible job promoting themselves.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My problem isn't with the patch, it works, it is just when I drink, then I crave a smoke and well, I buy a pack and can't let it go to waste, you know...

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Running more than one site. It happened on at least a short-term basis in the Boston area.

11. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

This had to make rank and file Patch employees feel good

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/02/AR2011020203299.html

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They make up for it in volume, just like Bleacher Report.

Draft saved Draft deleted