1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem when editor doesn't back you up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

so, in what seems to be an on-going saga here,
    I've received another complaint from a reader, this time a black-belt karate instructor my editor told me is "Pissed" about the article I wrote on the Karate Club.
    I wrote what I thought was a fair article that said how the instructors have been doing it for 25 years, how the club is a pretty good deal, and how anyone can join to learn self defense.
    I quoted him accurately,
    and I didn't bash the club.

My editor didn't tell me why he was so pissed, just saying "We'll discuss it when he gets here."
    Now, my editor's kids are in the karate club, so, I'm really feeling like he's going to be on his side.
    This will blow over, it wasn't a slanted article, I wrote it fairly and he was a nice guy to talk to.

But it seems whenever someone comes in with a complaint about what I've written,
    it always ends up being my fault somehow.
    Sometimes, it is, sometimes, people are just retarted.
    Whats troubling, though, is that my editor has not once taken my side and said to me, "you know, this complaint is bullshit. you didn't do anything wrong here."

He's ALWAYS taken their side.

Would anyone out there be upset that your SE has never taken your side on anything? Granted I'm not perfect. But he offers no direction, doesn't tell me "keep at it, you're doing a good job."
    He doesn't offer much advice before the article goes to print, either. I'm really feeling like I'm on my own, and when I get a complaint, it's always because I should've done something differently even if it is from an irrational parent or an over-sensitive person who takes offense to everything.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

unless you're the world's worst sports writer, it's his job to insulate you from complaints. and if you suck that much, he fucked up by hiring you.

3. www.journalismjobs.com

4. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

heh, thanks for the link. I've been checking it religiously for the past 2 months. I'm hopefully leaving soon, its just frustrating while I'm still here.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I hope you accurately edit your work as well.

6. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

ahh.....indeed.

7. Also, it's retarded, not retarted.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What's wrong with tarting again? Isn't that retarting?

9. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

It's a local thing. we tart, retart, and then restart tarting again. I guess that would be re-retarting.

10. Sometime in 2003...

A large rancher comes into the Fumbuck News office and slams down a paper.

"Can you tell me where I can find the midget (hockey) score in here," he yelled? "'Cause I sure as hell can't find it."

I sputter something about not getting the game sheet faxed to me. He calls me a "stupid little runt," or something to that effect, and says that I do a "piss-poor job of covering minor sports."

He storms out. I go back into the newsroom and comment on how, to use your word here, 'retarded' he was. The ME looks at me and says, "Well, it's true. You do do a piss-poor job at covering minor sports."

I put my tail between my legs and shuffle back to my desk where I begin to write a 1,000 word, front page sports feature titled Fumbuck minor hockey: a mid-season review

I don't know you Brian, but...are you sure you are looking in the mirror enough? If you are, great--you're right, he is a prick. If not...ask yourself if there is something in what Mr. Karate Club is saying that may be true.

11. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

would it be unkosher to post the article on here and let the wolves have at it? Or should I put it as a new topic in the writing forum?

12. I'm hardly an insider, but I would suspect the WW would be a more appropriate place.

Draft saved Draft deleted