1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall of Fame picks, 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They went one too many down the all-time list.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

So you're saying he was a full player for about half his career. I agree.

Jackson wasn't depended on for sacks. They had guys like Pat Swilling for that.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you, LJB. Measuring Rickey Jackson's greatness by sacks is a grave mistake.

Pat Swilling was one of the most feared edge rushers of his era and could rack up some sacks. He was able to do that because Rickey Jackson was such a fantastic all-around linebacker and because guys like Vaughan Johnson were such stout run stoppers.

Poor statistical comparison, nmmetsfan. Doesn't fly.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Could be, but you never know.
    All I can say is, I'm shocked Rickey Jackson is being inducted to the Hall of Fame.
    Great player, but not great on THAT great level.
    The Hall is, or should be, a hallowed place.
    I know of RJ because I've followed the Saints since I was 7 years old.
    He and Vaughan Johnson and Sam Mills were top of the line on those Saints rosters two decades ago.
    None of the members of those Saints teams deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    That said, if I see Rickey I will congratulate him on a fine career.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Swilling could have done a hell of a lot more damage if he remained in an ideal system for him and the stars around him.

I have an old tape of Lions yearbooks from the '90s I was going through a few weeks ago and they did a bit on the Swilling trade, one of the last really big trades before the dawning of free agency period. When he arrived in Detroit they actually unretired somebody's number for him (forget who), they had such high hopes.

I wonder just how much Randle's goofy persona worked in his favor. He was beyond an eccentric.

6. Sam Mills 51

Wrong, Blitz. Rickey Jackson should be in. Same with Morten Andersen.

I've love to think a third member of that team has a chance, but's a long, long shot. Perhaps he'll get a Veterans nod.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Floyd Little ABSOLUTELY deserves to be in there. The fact Shannon Sharpe didn't make it to the final five is an utter joke. He held every receiving record for a tight end when he retired. What more do you want?

8. Sam Mills 51

It was a big deal back in the day. And Pat Swilling could not wait to get out of New Orleans. Funny how it all fell apart so fast. (Same with another guy who left the Saints ... I forget his name. ::))

And let's provide a gauge of how good Rickey Jackson is (looking at nmmetsfan): When Swilling went to Detroit, Renaldo Turnbull was plugged into Swilling's spot and immediately started piling up sacks. Why? At least partly because of the work of Jackson on the other side in addition to the rest of the Dome Patrol. That was no accident.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Forgot to mention Swilling, yes. He was on the Patrol.
    But not a hall of famer, in my eyes.
    Morten Andersen, maybe. I hadn't pondered him.
    Have to think about that one.

10. Simon_Cowbell

You are too stilted.

Sharpe belongs in Floyd Little's spot there.

Davis, too.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Now, with Floyd Little in, the Redskins' Larry Brown, who actually played in an important NFL game in the 1970s, has to go in, too.

Slippery...fucking... slope

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I second that. Randle was terrible against the run, and spent his entire time trying to make big plays instead of working in the system.

Draft saved Draft deleted