1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists for 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Unless an owner created a league or coached, there is no place for them in the Hall.

He built a stadium, he negotiated an awesome TV deal, he hired a great staff or he spent a lot of money on players is not enough as far as I am concerned. Same for commissioners.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Webster, I think that standard is fair. But Tagliabue has my support due to the whole "replacing the legend" burden he had to bear.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess that I have a hard time with team execs, owners or commissioners being judged with players. Coaches as well, but that is a little closer to the line.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think he's one of the better owners in the league, but I don't see him as a Hall of Famer.

He didn't necessarily "save the franchise". The only thing is that the St. Louis Patriots would have won three Super Bowls, beating the Houston Rams for their first title.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is getting funny now. The Patriots are one of the league's most important franchises? Since when? This was a dumptruck organization for the better part of 40 years.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I let that one go, because I was wary of the response that "Uh . . um . . .Kraft turned them into an important franchise!!!!!"

Not really. They've had a great decade, largely because of a great coach (and builder of the team) and a great quarterback.

But aside from a great playoff run in 1985, the franchise was mostly a dumpster fire before that. It's why Bill Simmons still bitches about a 1976 playoff loss.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

DeBartolo hired Walsh. Kraft hired Belichick. That's it, ultimately. Thats not Hall of Fame stuff.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Belichick's greatness is hitched to a great quarterback. So all Hall of Famer Bob Kraft did was luck into Brady. As Belichick did. As the franchise and fans did.

Art Modell did more for the NFL than Kraft ever has, and Modell's case is not easy to make.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So does that mean that Modell has . . . 200 TIMES the impact that DeBartolo has?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Pat Bowlen won a couple of Super Bowls, we're going to have to put his ass in, too.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. He has been there a lot longer too.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Actually, given his impact in the TV area as the league began to ride its TV deals to unparalleled popularity and riches, Modell's case is very easy to make. But he created so much ill will by moving the Browns (which was Cleveland's fault probably as much as Modell's) he'll never make the Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted