1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall announces 2010 finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

LeBeau was a shutdown corner in his day. The ESPN-ization of history, as in, nothing happened before 1980, creates this bullshit dynamic where anything that happened before 1980 has to be justified by standards created after it.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's thinking of Vaughn Dunbar, a first-round pick (and Heisman finalist) who flamed out badly.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

As a seamhead, I probably would go nuts if six people got into the HOF class, but only because odds are some of them wouldn't deserve it. Heck this year I got a little upset when only one person got in because, well, Dawson isn't a HOFer in my book.

But that list of NFL players, in my mind, has more than just six who should be in. And arbitrarily limiting it seems foolish to me. I suppose one could argue that being that selective means only the best of the best get in, but since it's decided by voters who sometimes have their own agendas, that leaves some doubt.

I just don't see why it's so hard to put those who are HOF-worthy into the hall, and those who aren't can stay out.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The obvious problem with the limit in football is that with so many positions on the field, there are a lot more candidates to choose from. That's the reason for such a backlog where a ballot like this comes up and just about everyone would probably get in if there wasn't a limit, a la baseball.

I mean, the guys who didn't make the final 15 from the semifinal list of 25 included

Cliff Branch, WR – 1972-1985 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
    Chris Doleman, DE/LB – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers
    Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
    Ray Guy, P – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Lester Hayes, CB – 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills
    Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

And check out the prelim lit of guys who didn't even make the first cut: http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2009/9/19/2010-preliminary-nominees---by-position/

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The variety of opinions on Tasker is always fun to listen to. I saw something on NFL Network where they talked about him and some were in favor, insisting that he was the best ever at what he did, and others think it is completely ridiculous to even consider a special teams guy for the Hall of Fame.

I certainly can't see putting him in now when there seems to be a glut of highly-qualified candidates who actually managed to earn starting jobs in the NFL.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Sabols, from that preliminary list, deserve to be in there someday.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yup. when i wrote same first name, i was going to say same thing except one was a medicore RB. then i looked up his stats and he wasn't even medicore. i thought he had a couple good seasons before fading, but he just had a couple not good seasons.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The poor man's Anthony Thompson.

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

How is Ray Guy left off the final 15 list? Insane.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of the voters won't even consider a punter. Let's face it, nobody pays attention. did you know that Shane Lechler came close to breaking Sammy Baugh's record for single-season average yards per punt this year? I didn't until I looked it up. Lechler finished at 51.1. Baugh's record is 51.4.

That is the other problem for Guy. If you look only at the statistics, you could argue that he isn't even the best punter in Raiders history any more. He never averaged more than 45.3 yards per punt. Lechler's average only only dipped that low once in 10 NFL seasons, and you can see the large gap between his best season and Guy's.

Lechler is the NFL's all-time leader in career average per punt at 47.3 yards. Guy's career average of 42.4 yards per punt ties him for 67th all-time with such immortals as John Jett and Matt Turk.

Sure, there is more to it than that one statistic can measure. Was Guy great at pinning teams inside their 20? I don't even know. Did he really have that much better of hang time than Lechler? I sincerely doubt it.

Of course, these are guys from different eras and things such the special balls for kickers certainly help modern punters, but it definitely hurts Guy's cause that his numbers really don't hold up to the top punters in the game right now. That career-best single-seasn average of 45.3 yards per punt would have only been good for 10th in the NFL this season.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure it's fair to compare Guy's stats to Lechler's when judging whether or not Guy is HOF worthy. A lot of people think that's why Art Monk took so long to get into the HOF. Monk retired with the most receptions in NFL history. It shouldn't be held against him that Rice came through later and broke it.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Guy's hang time was legendary. I believe Guy was the inspiration for coining the term "hang time" in the first place and for coaches and others beginning to measure hang time.

Guy kicked the ball so high that in 1977, Oilers coach Bum Phillips had a ball taken out of the game after a punt and had it tested for helium at Rice University. The test found only air.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19771114&id=tRMRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LuADAAAAIBAJ&pg=3881,3624849

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30F15FF3D5A167493C7A8178AD95F438785F9

Draft saved Draft deleted