1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Fall of Fame Semifinalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 20, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not arguing the merits of Dungy, if I was I would tout his losing record in playoff games and that he would be the only coach in the hall of fame with a losing playoff record.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

3 Octave, that's a good idea proposing Tunney.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, I was being sarcastic. If you want to put him in based on being the first black coach to win a Super Bowl, fine... Just don't pretend he made it there based and wins and losses.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you, Gee.
    I just think there are too many damn coaches and receivers in already.
    Need to shake it up - we need more centers, interior linemen, builders and referees.
    Not one official ever has made the 25 cut.
    That's a joke in this sport, which demands more from its officials than any other.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Here's a Cold Hard Football Facts article, dating a year ago, about Terrell Davis' HOF case. When you look at the numbers it presents, TD compares favorably to Earl Campbell, who is already in the HOF.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/cold-hard-football-facts-blog/hall-fame-running-backs-who-is-worthy-gold-jacket/19885/

Craig, on the other hand, does not measure up. I think too many people are looking at Marshall Faulk and saying, "But Craig was a pass catcher too," when the truth is that Craig was good but far from dominant. Plus Faulk performed well with two different teams in his career.

Bettis doesn't really stack up that well, either, but he has a better case than Craig.

But among the RBs, it's really Davis who has the best case. Bettis' totals look good, but when you break them down, they don't quite measure up.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can make a decent argument for Craig and Davis. Both were key players on championship teams, both were the best player at their position for periods during their career.

But, if you don't take the titles into consideration, you can say the same thing about Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander. Alexander has a chance to get in, but the other two don't.

It's tough to make a call on running backs. Bettis will eventually get in. LDT is a first-ballot lock. Until you get to Adrian Peterson, there are a lot of guys who could be considered borderline. I would put Davis and Craig at or near the top of the borderline backs.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

I hate myself for saying this, but I like the way you think.

At least in this instance.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I think Terrell Davis should get in on the Gale Sayers plan. Short but spectacular career. And unlike Sayers, his otherworldly seasons led to championships for his team. Yes, I know he didn't win those trophies by himself, but he was the primary driver of the offense.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

I have my moments.
    Sixteen centers in Canton, by my count.
    A half-dozen were pre-modern, two-way players.
    Only five enshrinees played after the merger.
    This is an oversight.
    I love centers.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed. Another perspective. Baseball honors some of its greatest umpires, a number of them in fact. I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two hockey refs in the HOF. Not sure about NBA/basketball.

There's no reason why it shouldn't happen in football too.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

I have seen claims Hochuli should get HoF consideration.
    I differ with that, but he does have a certain cachet among players, fans and fellow officials.
    I knew somebody a few years back who worked on the chain gang and told me Hochuli was one of the nicest guys in the game.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

When was Roger Craig the best RB in the NFL?

Draft saved Draft deleted