1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Fall of Fame Semifinalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

List got cut down to 25 today. Gotta cut 10 more. A couple of surprises

Four first-timers got through -- Derrick Brooks, Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison and Walter Jones

One of the finalists didn't make it to 25 this time -- Art Modell -- so there if form holds from previous years, there are six slots in the finalists to go with Bettis, Brown, DeBartolo, Greene, Haley, Reed, Shields, Strahan and Williams.

Morten Andersen
    Steve Atwater
    Jerome Bettis
    Derrick Brooks
    Tim Brown
    Don Coryell
    Roger Craig
    Terrell Davis
    Edward DeBartolo, Jr.
    Tony Dungy
    Kevin Greene
    Charles Haley
    Marvin Harrison
    Joe Jacoby
    Jimmy Johnson
    Walter Jones
    John Lynch
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Andre Reed
    Will Shields
    Michael Strahan
    Paul Tagliabue
    Aeneas Williams
    Steve Wisniewski
    George Young

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm warming to the idea of Terrell Davis getting in. Maybe not this year, but eventually...

I love Eddie D., but I would not put him in over Modell.

It will be a fucking travesty if Dungy gets in on the first ballot. A friend who is a voter thinks he gets in this year. I hope he's wrong.

My picks...

I think Brooks waltzes in on the first ballot.
    I tend to think Walter Jones gets in as well. I just wonder if that means Shields has to wait another year. One of the two will get in.
    It's a similar issue with Harrison. Does he go in first ballot or do they put in Andre Reed and he gets in line. I think it will be Harrison.
    Strahan will get in this year.

If it were up to me, the final two slots would Reed, Shields or Bettis. I tend to think one of those three will get in and the final spot will go to Eddie D, Dungy or Tagliabue.

Haley could be a dark horse as well.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dungy gets in, he walks on water and ESPN wants it.

I'd like to see George Young get in, he made the Giants relevant in the modern NFL.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think Landry, Noll and Shula are the only coaches (not including founders/owners) who made it in on the first ballot. Yeah, Dungy is in their class...

That is not counting the charter class.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No way Dungy should get in before Jimmy Johnson.

6. Mizzougrad96

Agreed, but he will.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I think Dungy has a case, but if he gets in on the first ballot, it reeks of the voters wanting the feel-good story and nothing more.

Hey, I was happy that Dungy got to coach a Super Bowl winning team, but feel-good stories by themselves do not equal an instant HOF spot.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't have a huge problem with him getting in. I wouldn't vote for him, but I realize that the whole "first black coach to win a SB" deal is going to get him in over people who are more deserving. I truly believe that he will get in this year because the media would jump all over the committee if he has to wait a year or two.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Based on the voters' recent treatment of o-linemen, I would be shocked if they go Jones over Shields.

There is no way that they put Dungy, DeBartolo and Tagliabue in the final 15

I think the finalists will be the holdovers Bettis, Brown, DeBartolo, Greene, Haley, Reed, Shields, Strahan and Williams plus Brooks, Harrison, Dungy, Jones, Jacoby and Andersen.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'll start the debate (hopefully) by saying I think Morten Andersen belongs in the Hall.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Hall needs an official.
    Jim Tunney had 29 playoff assignments, including ten championship games and three Super Bowls.
    Officiated many memorable moments in league history, including the Ice Bowl, Fog Bowl, The Catch and The Fumble.
    Get the guy in while he's still alive.

12. Mizzougrad96

He may eventually get in, but it will likely be a veterans' committee vote. I don't see him getting in otherwise.

All-time leading scorer should count for something. I also like that he was the best at his position for a decent portion of his career and also has longevity.

Draft saved Draft deleted