1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print's not dying: Times circulation skyrockets in LaCrosse, Wis.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This guy delivered the New York Times in Lacrosse, WI.

"From 07 to 08, the number of subscribers in the area went from 65 daily and 103 sunday to 2,781 daily and 2,818 for Sunday papers."

Except those people weren't subscribing to read Maureen Dowd. In fact none of them were real. Now he faces wire fraud charges for bilking the Times of $325,000. Wish I would have thought of this when I was a paperboy.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2008/08/06/news/01lead.txt

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was interested when I read the title. I hesitated as I read your first line. I smiled when I read the quote. I nearly jumped when I thought about the numbers.

And then you brought it all crashing down.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Imagine if the Times was like most other papers. Corporate would have been demanding stories from the new hot market. I would have loved to have seen Bill Roden's face when got assigned a "Where Are They Now" column on the last Catbirds squad.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the title, I thought a paper decided to have a 'Hot-looking girl on Page 3' type story every day.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think this story is hilarious.

6. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Wow...the Catbirds. The toast of the CBA. There's a team I never thought I'd hear about again, even with coaching alum Flip Saunders in the NBA now.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised the Times didn't keep paying the guy in order to inflate its circulation...

8. SwingAndAMiss

SwingAndAMiss New Member

The best part is the first comment under the story:

" Thanks Holtet! another reason the rest of the states have to laugh, ridicule and distrust people from LaCrosse Wisconsin. Your a dandy and I hope you get some serious time in a New York state prison-you've earned it. "

I had no idea that LaCrosse was infamous for ridiculed, distrustful people! I'll be privy to that dastardly town's reputation next time.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Now that Favre's a Jet, some of those cheeseheads might be interested in real subscriptions.

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Some of us think La Crosse is a pretty cool place to hang out. No dastardliness in sight. Nice university city that has made the transition from a factory based economy to high tech/health care.

Draft saved Draft deleted