1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Printing names of Juveniles? (Now with updates!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sleepy Pete, Oct 9, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The judge can seal the records. It involves juveniles. The judge can do whatever he wants to protect anyone he wants.

Now, why the paper can't get a copy of the order is beyond me. I didn't realize you could seal an order to seal a court transcript.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is now completely out of your hands Pete and up to the lawyers and the courts.

The major factor here is you are dealing with juveniles and whether they are star atheltes (and therefore borderline public figures) means nothing if they are minors.

You seem to have done everything right but that doesn'y mean the story is every going to see the light of day. It is now more a legal issue and a policy issue for your paper (does the paper have a policy on running the names of juvies accused of or implicated in crimes?)

3. I agree with spnited.

I think your newspaper could force the issue and win, but obviously that's going to depend on your newspaper - and it sounds like your publisher has already made the decision.

I don't understand why you can't see the order. Small-town shit there. I do think it's interesting that the prosecutor got involved - is it because the kid will be charged or because he won't be charged?

Sorry it turned out this way, Pete. It sounds like you did everything right and that you have the right attitude about it. Don't let this setback dissuade you from going balls out again. It happens.

As my four-year-old says after she beats me at a board game, "I win some, you lose some."

This will open some doors for you when people see you're willing to attack a story no matter who the subject is. Plus, there's nothing like that feeling when you're on the hunt. ;D

Congratulations and good luck.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A not-insignificant chunk of the community would like to live there without being under the threat of burglary.

Are y'all part of a chain? State press association? For God's sake, bowing meekly to prior restraint is akin to giving up the franchise.

5. Good point. State press association's attorney could give you some help free of charge.

Draft saved Draft deleted