1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Printing names of Juveniles? (Now with updates!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sleepy Pete, Oct 9, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

Wicked, I guarantee you that wouldn't fly past a lawyer. People lie on the stand every day. Who is to say this guy isn't lying? It's one thing to publish a guy being charged. You're talking about something completely different.
    Plus, remember, we're talking about juveniles here, not adults.

2. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

I think we can hold off the arguing until we get more information from Sleepy Pete: What are police, prosecutors planning to do with the information? If nothing, then everyone is right. A lot of thought needs to go into before running their names but I haven't seen anything that says you can't run their names. I don't think we can make a clear decision here without more info.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The story now is: A D-I prospect has been accused of a felony in court by someone trying to roll on him. Calling him/his family and his lawyer is crucial.

It's a story. If he has issued a verbal commitment, it merits a call to that school's sports information department, even though they're only going to issue the traditional no comment.

4. boots

boots New Member

Wicked I see your point. I would feel funny running it. It would have to go through the lawyer.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have to admit, I don't know "community standards" in the area where Sleepy Pete may reside ...

But if it were a small-town politician accused of burglary by someone who'd turn state's evidence, you'd run a story.

Granted, the player isn't a high-ranking public official, but if he's a major recruit, I'd argue he's just as much of a public figure, known by people throughout the rag's circulation area.

To me, that's why it merits at least a rebuttal.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Agreed. It's definitely a story. Right now, that's the story. In two weeks, the story could be:
    D-1 prospect Joe Givemeblow is now in jail on felony burglary charges. Two weeks ago, Johnny Bottoms accused Joe Givemeblow and two others of taking part in the burglary."

Except much better written than that failure of a lead.

7. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

Let me throw this out...
    What about being sued for defamation of character?

If all Pete has is an open-court plea from an 18 year-old and he runs it, that's fine. But since the other kids are juvy's how is the paper going to prove what it ran is true?

And Sup, how is Pete going to know the juvy kids are in jail? Most juvy records are sealed, no?

So Pete's paper get hit with a $40 million lawsuit by one of the kid's parents for costing them a college scholarship. How do you prove what the plea stated is true if no one else will talk?

Yes, a burglar who pled out said that's the case...
    In W.Va., don't know about where Pete is, juvy laws are tighter than a wrestler's singlet.

Are the court officers or investigative officers allowed to talk about juvy proceedings? If not, you have only one source implicating these kids.
    As someone said, get reaction from the players' parents or lawyers. This being a juvy case, good luck. They'll probably tell you to go pound sand - if they even talk to you.

It is a story, but I'm not sure it's one you can run. Not without more verification.

To me, the fact that most editors will require one or two confirmed sources in cases like this separates reputable papers from the National Enquirer and the other tabloids who are routinely sued for libel and defamation of character.

One more thing: If the case is still on-going perhaps charges are pending against the juvys -- that's another reason court officers and law folk won't talk.

I think when it comes to juvy cases it's whole different ball of wax than a Wicked's example of a public official.

My two cents

Good luck Pete.

8. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

They don't have to necessarily. I've always been taught that what's said in court in testimony or by the attorney is fair game - exempt from libel. Obviously you're going to have to take some special steps since the kids are in high school but there's a way to get it in the paper.

9. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

I think you are right in regular cases... but that may not be the case when it involves juvys.

What sort of "special steps?"

It seems to me the only big news value of the situation is the fact one of the kids is a big time football prosepct.
    If by special step you mean omitting the names of the kids involved, then what's the point?

Not sure, but isn't there a difference between libel and defamation? I'm not talking about libel. I concede libel might not be an issue. Defamation, on the other hand, might be??

Threads like these are why I really enjoy this place.

10. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

Maybe you do have to leave the names out. Still a story that several football players were commiting burglaries.

But I wouldn't rule out keeping the names in, yet. We really need to know if they're going to be charged and, if so, as an adult. Maybe the parents are willing to talk about it on the record.

And please educate me on the difference between libel and defamation ... perhaps I'm mistaken but I was thinking libel and slander were the two types of defamation ...

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They can sue their accuser. They can't sue the newspaper. A newspaper can report anything that appears in the public record -- anything -- without being sued. Just make sure you attribute everything properly: i.e., "according to court documents."

Don't they teach media law in college anymore?

12. Re: Printing names of Juveniles?

I don't know, I'm asking.

Draft saved Draft deleted