1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Printer for I Pad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just purchased I Pad and want to get a printer. Anyone have any recommendations. Seems like there are a bunch of options.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Apple? You'll need to buy 12 proprietary adapters first.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The obvious bet is to get an HP printer, as their new ones support AirPrint - letting you print straight from the iPad to the printer.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/airprint/index.html

There are applications you can find that will make any printer AirPrint compatible, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're comfortable setting up unique software like that.

As far as which HP printer, depends what you want to use it for. If you need colour, you'll be spending a lot on ink. I threw out a colour printer because I didn't use it enough - when I did the ink cartridges had to be cleaned and refreshed so much it was a gigantic waste of money. I bought a cheap Samsung black and white laser printer and haven't looked back.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just got my iPad two weeks ago and haven't even thought about it.
    I hardly ever print anything. However, HP looks like the best option because it's already compatible, as pointed out above.

So far, I must say, I love this thing.
    And I am not an Apple person.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I Pad? Is that like post padding?

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Oh Buck, I'm sorry to hear that.

You do know they just announced iPad 2 today, right? And that it'll be the exact same price as the iPad you just bought?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, I know. But I've got some traveling coming up and I needed to get set for work and school while I'm on the road.
    Unfortunate timing, it does suck.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Too bad. No return policy?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm still good on the return.
    I've been toying with the idea. I'm also undecided on the keyboard I got for it, which I also might exchange.
    I've got two more weeks to take the stuff back. I'm trying to make sure I can get the best functionality out of it: remote desktop and VPN, Office-app, keyboard functionality and ease of carrying, etc.

When it was released, I was really skeptical about it. Why get one when for the same price you can get an actual computer?
    But the more I learned, the more I grokked. I don't need a portable computer. I need a portable work device that includes the ability to connect to my computer.
    Then there was grokking.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm not sold on it in addition to having an iPhone 4. I can see how a bigger virtual keyboard would be nice for banging out a gamer, but for $500 I can buy a lot of bluetooth keyboards that will work with my phone.

Hell, with the new $39 HDMI display adapter they're selling (which works with iPhone and iPad), it'd be cheaper to buy both a simple screen and a bluetooth keyboard, hook them both up to my iPhone and work that way.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on what constitutes utility for a given person.

I was hoping my bb would be more of a work tool for me. Although it's great for texting and e-mail, the connectivity is not good for some other work functions.

The iPad seems like perfect fit, and when my current contract expires I can downgrade my phone.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Good news Buck, Apple announced today that recent iPad buyers will get a $130 rebate.

Draft saved Draft deleted