1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principal bans reporter from press box, apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Frankly, though, I think he is within his rights to deny a reporter use of the press box. We all know it's not really for the "press."

At some schools there is hardly any room after the coaches, radio guys and PA announcer take up spots.

And he isn't preventing you from doing your job.

Still, he's a jerk, and I'd probably still cover the game but maybe call and have his car towed at halftime.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it's to each his own, why do you feel it necessary to paint those in the pressbox lazy?
    I prefer to see plays unfold and get a better idea where the ball is spotted -- considering the deadzone between the 25s. I also prefer a countertop whenever possible to keep pxp and running stats. But that's lazy?

3. So you would punish the fans and players because of the principal? That's what you'd be doing, giving up the quality of your product to win a pissing match. The product comes first, no matter what. We have to be like the mailman - neither ran nor sleet nor snow, etc., etc., etc.

4. Apparently I've touched a nerve. And since there's no way to say this without seeming like an asshole, I guess I'll just move along and resist turning this into a stoob thread-jack situation.

Besides, you guys work so hard!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You were right, guy. You do seem like an asshole. Good call.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For the most part, yes.

But sometimes a stand has to be taken. You pick your battles, and this is one you fight.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with "don't cover the game at all."

In fact, I'd pull ALL coverage of the school. Except for the negative stuff like racism. ::)

8. I think you cover the game and write the other stuff that happened, as well. Get public support on your side by saying, "Look - we go through all of this to bring you this coverage."

One thing I've learned is that the public will never ever ever take the media's side in a pissing match with their beloved.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ace, I know why you can't get a sniff at the Plain Dealer. you're too wordy. Check out my edit. See, two less words.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Saying "we go through all of this" will backfire immensely. The readers will make excuses for the principal. I've been through this, though with an incooperative coach, and the parents complained that we never did enough to contact said coach.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Covering that school, I would have.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I once went to a high school game where they didn't have space for me in a press box that featured five different rooms -- one for visiting-team coaches, one for home-team coaches, one for announcer, scoreboard operator/extra official and both schools' statisticians, one for both schools' video crews and one for boosters.

I told the principal he needed to call it something other than a press box, because I was the only media present and was told to sit in the stands. About 10 minutes later he found me and told me he'd figured out a place where I could sit.

Covered the game from the sideline anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted