1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prilosec OTC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I trust it's not your new job giving you heartburn yet! :D

No need to give up coffee, as long as you drink it in moderation (like two cups a day). But I hope your docs have told you all you are doing with Prilosec and other meds is covering up the problem, not solving it. It's like putting icy-hot on a torn ACL.

To solve it, besides looking at your diet as someone else suggested, try putting healthy things into your system. Such as aloe vera and licorice (not the candy type). I know people in our biz who had major heartburn problems, and they solved it by going off prescription and otc meds, and onto supplements.
    Got this from my nutritionist site:
    * Aloe vera juice, two cups of aloe vera juice, containing 98% aloe vera and no aloin or aloe-emodin, three times daily between meals.
    * Licorice (DGL), two wafers (380mg) of deglycyrrhizinated licorice, three or four times daily between meals.
    * Vitamin B1(thiamin), 500 mg daily, should be taken in the morning on empty stomach. Combine with vitamin B5 and choline for chronic heartburn.
    * Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), 1,000 mg two times daily. Use in combination with choline and vitamin B1 for chronic heartburn.
    * Calcium carbonate, 250-500 mg thrice daily.
    * Choline, 500 mg thrice daily. Use in combination with vitamin B5 and vitamin B1 for chronic heartburn.
    * Gamma-oryzanol (rice bran oil), 150 mg thrice daily (on an empty stomach).

If/when the above eventually works -- and it takes time, along with eliminating triggers such as spicy food and coffee -- your body and life will change. I'd also add fish oil (2000 mg per day) to the above list.

2. gingerbread

Assume it was obvious but if not, the licorice is the sort that is bought at health food stores.
    Also, I know people who swear by two gulps in the morning of organic apple cider vinegar, though it is nasty nasty nasty. (Yes, I've tried it. It's great for the hair though.)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ginger, I think the world of you. But, considering the profession, that's nuts. Am sure it works. But if you think Moddy's going to give up faceplanting into Mac and Cheese, it ain't gonna happen.

And being great for his hair is the LAST of Moddy's worries.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Count me in the organic apple cider vinegar camp. I have a hiatal hernia, which basically means that the muscle that should keep my stomach closed off from my throat doesn't, which leads to serious heartburn. Used to take Prevacid daily for years. Heard about the ACV and gave it a shot. Now I don't take prescription drugs. Some people can't handle the ACV, but when you get used to it, it's really not bad. I take it with a shot glass.

5. gingerbread

Why is it nuts? Not saying he has to give up anything but his food triggers (and they could be small).
    To add a shot of aloe vera juice in the morning and take licorice supplements is hardly anything, and in the long run, less expensive than OTC medicines from pharm companies. The other stuff ... mostly B vitamins, which should be part of many diets, is hardly out of the ordinary. Though I'd hold off in adding those supplements and see if the licorice and aloe vera work first.

Honestly, it's not as if I'm suggesting Moddy put rat poisoning in his body!

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I actually did that once. Except it was corn.
    I was working at a restaurant in a Six Flags park, and at the end of the day they had all this leftover food that was going to get thrown out. Big steam trays full of corn, greens, maybe mac and cheese. For some god unknown reason I thought it'd be funny to just drop my face into one of the corn trays before it got tossed in the trash.
    So I did. And now, 20 years later, I have that story to tell.
    Carry on.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This thread is making me crave some hot wings, jalepeno poppers and a couple slices of meat lovers pizza. Feel the burn.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Gingerbread,thanks for the list. I will try some of that. Slappy is right about the hair, though. None of that left to worry over.

I can't blame the new job - not now anyway. They gave me a list of writers who will cause heartburn but I haven't had to work with any of them yet.

My wife made a good point this a.m. She asked if I realized coffee intake should be measured in total ounces. My two cups - cups the size of a sald bowl - are not the ordinary two cups.

I had a salad and a very small piece of meatloaf for dinner last night. And no problems.

Thanks all for all the help.

9. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Let me add my recommendation to the organic Apple Cider Vinegar camp. Yeah, you might think it's nasty when you first try it, but you get used to it. Mix it in some hot water with a little honey, and it goes down easier. It's very, very good for you, no matter your ailment (or even if you don't have an ailment). I have two shots of it per day now and feel like it helps my health tremendously, and even curbs appetite a little.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, a cup is not a relative term.

I would slowly back down, though. I'm guessing you drink six to eight actual cups a day. If you went down to two actual cups right away, well I don't have to tell you how your head would feel.

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Anybody on Nexium who's getting screwed by your insurance company, this should help you out.

https://www.purplepill.com/tools/purple-plus-savings-card.aspx

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moddy won't have time to eat. He'll just be popping pills.

Draft saved Draft deleted