1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prilosec OTC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone using this stuff?

My Nexium prescription ran out so I decided to give Prilosec a whirl. Went to Target and bought a box of 42.
    Was surprised to see the direx that said take 14, wait FOUR months, take another 14, lather, rinse, repeat.

Why the wait?

During the "on" two weeks, it worked like a charm. Felt great. Not a hint of heartburn. Two days after my "cycle" ran out, I had heartburn again.

The Queen says screw it, just keep taking it. She's a fine person but isn't a doctor and couldn't convince how she knew this to be safe.

I guess it is back to Nexium, which means a visit to the doc to get a new prescription.

Heartburn ranks just behind snow on my list of things I hate.

2. KG

KG Active Member

It can't possibly be that safe if you have to take a break for four months after just two weeks of use. It has to be wrecking something.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've been taking it daily for 4-5 years now and haven't died. I get the Walmart variety because it's a couple of bucks cheaper. My doctor started me out on the little purple pill and then said switch to POTC. He hasn't told me not to take it every day.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just asked a doctor friend who specializes in gastrostroenterology. When they tested Prilosec on rats, some gastrointestinal cancer showed up. That is why using it beyond 14 days isn't recommended. But anecdotally, that hasn't been the case on humans; the drug has been in use for 15 years or so and lots of doctors prescribe it on an ongoing basis for patients. There isn't anything demonstrating that it produces higher rates of cancer in humans.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not meant to be flip, but what are you eating? Maybe if you change up the diet a little you won't need the pills.

6. Moderator1

Flip this!
    Kidding. It's a valid point. Went over all that with the doctor and changed up some stuff. I cut out a lot of things (pasta sauce, most Italian food) before going on drugs and then was fine with them when on Nexium and Priolosec. Now, pretty much everything gives me heartburn. I'm eating better and actually losing some weight. Yesterday, I had a bagel for breakfast. Heartburn. Today I had a bowl of Cheerios. Heartburn. I had a salad for dinner last night, that didn't make it worse so I've got that going for me.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Then you must not use anything like Catalina. That's one of my favorites, but it gives me killer heartburn.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Everything gives you heartburn? Dad, is that you?

9. Moderator1

My guess is I'm very much in the same age range as your dad.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, what did they say about coffee?

Isn't that acidic?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Do you also dislike "the hip-hop" music and the baseball playoffs ending in November? Maybe you and my dad can be pen pals.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've taken a Prilosec (or generic) for years as part of my morning regimen with a baby aspirin, vitamin and other stuff; which one depends on what was on sale. Acid reflux/hot pipes sometimes, dontcha know
    I've switched to Prevacid for a while, simply because of a $10 coupon that has been in Parade Magazine a couple of times in the last few weeks. Haven't seen a great deal of difference, but haven't have problems with hotpipes in months

Draft saved Draft deleted