1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty major gaffe in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the story about Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, Lars Anderson writes:

O.J. Simpson, anyone?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1176386/3/index.htm

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

oy.

sadly, no longer a shocking oversight the once-pristine mag.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This could almost become a running thread.

Almost.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay. The first junior college transfer to win the Heisman who isn't doing time.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Wasn't Roger Staubach the first junior college transfer to win a Heisman Trophy -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Staubach

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Since O.J.'s Heisman was melted, maybe he doesn't technically have it anymore.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Interesting question, but I think New Mexico Military Institute is a high school as well as a junior college, and that Staubach went there to polish up the college prep part of his high school transcript.

I may be wrong here, but I believe NMMI was more a fifth year of h.s. for Staubach then it was actual college courses.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised to see a typo on the vertical doubletruck in last week's NBA preview. Those usually get the eagle-eye treatment. Then again, there's usually at least one significant typo in every issue nowadays.

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

The worst part about it isn't that "It's SI" (i.e. we expect more from them), but the fact that they have people whose job is strictly to fact-check. If it's a daily paper, even a major one, it's easy to argue that a copy editor might miss a factual error if not an expert on the subject matter.

But at SI? Having worked in the Time, Inc., system, I know that there are plenty of entry-level types who are in charge of, you know, checking facts. I know SI has been hit like anywhere else in terms of lost jobs but still, that's one of those glaring "This is a fact you should check because there's an easily findable list of Heisman winners" kind of facts that should jump out at you if you're doing that job. And then you should fix it before it ever gets anywhere near print.

I'm not one for these look-at-[insertmajorpublication]'s-stupid-error schadenfreude fests that threads can turn into, but come on. Seems like an easily avoidable mistake.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know Lars Anderson or anything about his background. But if he's like a lot of others hired there, he might be young enough to believe sports began with the advent of ESPN.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lars is a good guy and a hard worker. Like many of us have done, he made a mistake (maybe - we assume it is his because it is in his story but we all know it may NOT be his).

The difference is any mistake used to get caught at SI. That doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted